Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pinion angle

Anyone here that knows the correct pinion angle for a stock ride height TA it does have a adj ta on it tunnel mnt if it makes a diff.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We generally recommend somewhere between -2 and -3 degrees of pinion angle. Most cars like it there but there are instances were they like it a little different. Start off at -2 and drive the car around, if there are no abnormal vibrations than you will good to go.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkozera
Anyone here that knows the correct pinion angle for a stock ride height TA it does have a adj ta on it tunnel mnt if it makes a diff.
-1.5 is were we suggest everyone to start.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info will get on it this weekend.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok got an angle finder but before starting I got on the web and low and behold everyone has a different approach to how much and how to get that angle they need and all use a diff method. So my question is what is the proper method for our cars ie shaft in or out off the shaft or of yolk face trans angle included into the math. With the shaft in and yes car is level all weight is on the suspension I show -1.5 but still have a vib that it didnt have before the tunnel mnt arm. Let the fun begin lol.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ok got an angle finder but before starting I got on the web and low and behold everyone has a different approach to how much and how to get that angle they need and all use a diff method. So my question is what is the proper method for our cars ie shaft in or out off the shaft or of yolk face trans angle included into the math. With the shaft in and yes car is level all weight is on the suspension I show -1.5 but still have a vib that it didnt have before the tunnel mnt arm. Let the fun begin lol.
With the tunnel mounted arm you are going to have more road noise and vibrations because the torque arm is mounted directly to the chassis rather than the transmission. Is the noise RPM/speed related? Here is a video we use to help people out set up there pinion angles.

BMR Pinion angle video

Kyle

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you checking the pinion off the yoke or off the bracket? We prefer to check it off the yoke itself that way you are getting a correct angle.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Well after trying seveal methods and not being able to get rid of the vibs I pulled the arm back off if I was going to use just as strip car I would of kept it but will go with the long arm version and use a relo crossmember to get off the trans. I did love the straight line launch with it though. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Well after trying seveal methods and not being able to get rid of the vibs I pulled the arm back off if I was going to use just as strip car I would of kept it but will go with the long arm version and use a relo crossmember to get off the trans. I did love the straight line launch with it though. Thanks for the help guys.
It definitely sucks that you couldn't get rid of the vibration. When id the vibration start? What RPM's? What speed? Maybe it something other than the pinion angle. If I can help you get that full length style torque arm and relocation crossmember let me know.

Kyle

Quick Reply: pinion angle