Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear brake upgrade?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a rear brake upgrade that is actually worth getting? I recently installed 14" 5th gen camaro brembos on my 01 SS, and now its time to freshen up the rear too as they started making some noise recently. I know upgrading the rear brakes isn't really necessary, but ill be replacing all of the braking components with new anyway, so i figured if there is something out there that is better I might as well go for it.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure there is a wilwood kit, and I know in gm high tech mag, they have brembos on all 4 corners on the sti killer now. Idk if they're universal between rear ends but the sti killer uses a tenbolt
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
Just wondering if anyone knows of a rear brake upgrade that is actually worth getting? I recently installed 14" 5th gen camaro brembos on my 01 SS, and now its time to freshen up the rear too as they started making some noise recently. I know upgrading the rear brakes isn't really necessary, but ill be replacing all of the braking components with new anyway, so i figured if there is something out there that is better I might as well go for it.
I'm guessing you're wanting some sort of fixed caliper upgrade. That'll require that the c-clip retention of the axle go away. Otherwise you'll end up with pad knock back. Baer Brakes has some products for this.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

SS Brembo rear disc conversion plates

http://flynbye.com/catalog/i238.html
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 96BIGBODY
SS Brembo rear disc conversion plates

http://flynbye.com/catalog/i238.html
No e-brake with that kit.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so on that kit, it essentially allows the new camaro brake set up in the rear, but you lose the e brake? is there anyone that has done this conversion and has a write up for this? This is something I would definitely be interested with the CTS-V front brake set up...Are these 2 set ups compatible? Sorry about the questions, I'm kind of a noob in the suspension/brake world.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You don't want bigger brakes in the back of an f-body...you will end up with too much rear bias on a car that is already light back there, and gets even lighter under heavy braking. You'll likely end up with lots of axle tramp too under heavy braking, which will do nothing to help you stop.

You are better off leaving it alone. Want proof? Go ask the guys on frrax.com what they recommend and run themselves...they're the ones that are beating these cars into submission on the track. I'm almost 100% certain they'll recommend leaving the rear brakes alone too.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

There is an article in GMHTP about the process they went through with upgrading to a fixed caliper on the rear. STI Killer Improvements - Searching For Seconds, Part 1

Its looks nice, but I'm not sure how well that actually works. As MeentSS02 said, brake bias is a concern.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you for the information on that meent, i'll be checking that site today. My honest reason for wanting a bigger brake in the rear is more or less for the look. I plan to go to an 18 or 19 inch rim down the road, and hate the look of a tiny rotor/caliper surrounded by a larger rim. regardless I will do my research
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I looked in to doing the same thing and for the same reason: looks. I discovered it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

From what I found, if you went to a larger rotor, the parking brake would have to be modified to work. If you went with a fixed rear caliper on a c-clip axle car, you'd have all sorts of pad knockback, and even c-clip eliminators couldn't fully resolve the issue. You could try getting rid of the drum-in-hat parking brake system to open up some options, but then you'd have to figure out another way to incorporate a parking brake. Just a lot of headaches and even more money to fix something that functions well at the expense of not looking good compared to the higher dollar cars out there (namely the GS/ZO6/ZR1 Vettes, etc.).
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know there wont be much improvement in braking over the 14" brembos that are already installed in the front, but I will be totally replacing the calipers and rotors anyway, so for a little extra cash id rather have something that dosnt look quite as goofy as the tiny rear disks. Im gonna look for the rear brembo calipers from a 5th gen, a matching set would look great! A c clip eliminator actually does a really good job of isolating the axle, my brother races circle track with fixed calipers and c clip eliminators in the back and has zero issues with pad knock

Quick Reply: Rear brake upgrade?