Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drivetrain slightly crooked after K member swap, reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivetrain slightly crooked after K member swap, reinstall

Part 1

I removed/reinstalled my engine using the "out the bottom method" that most people here probably use. I'm doing a turbo build and a T56 -> 4L80e swap as well, which required use of an aftermarket K member and transmission crossmember.

I reused my stock A-arms and attempted to "eyeball" them straight/centered as best as possible, and centered/shimmed the engine mount clamshells on the K member as best I could.

When I reinstalled the engine/transmission/front suspension, I felt that I got everything lined up well because the "guide dowels" on the K member met up with the holes on the body and it didn't appear there was a lot of room for movement/error there.

However, when I went to bolt the transmission crossmember and bushing to the transmission, I realized that the transmission wasn't centered properly in the transmission tunnel and there was no way I would be able to bolt the transmission to the bushing.

This was my first time ever removing/reinstalling a drivetrain in a car, but I figured that if the K member guide dowels were lined up and fit, and all the bolts running through the K member that hold it to the car lined up, it *should* be straight in the car. Obviously that's not the case - there must be some "play" and room for adjustment (or in my case, error) that needs to be accounted for.

So my question now is this - how do I get everything lined up and make sure it's straight in the car?

I figured I might be able to pull real hard on the transmission tailshaft and get it on the crossmember, let the engine/tranmission rest back on the dolly I used, unbolt the 6 K member bolts half an inch or so, then lift the car up a bit and use the dolly to reposition the drivetrain? My thoughts were if I could somehow get the transmission tailshaft on the crossmember, it would help center it when the drivetrain because loose from the car again?

Another question I have is regarding my front wheels being severely out of toe. I did install new Bilstein shocks and Strano lowering springs prior to putting the drivetrain back in, so I knew there would be minor adjustment needed to account for that - but IMO this looks too out of tow for a simple tierod adjustment. The only thing I could think of that may cause that, aside from lowering springs, is my A-arms not being "straight" on the K member - or at least not being positioned "where they need to be"....wherever that is.

I know lots of you have done engine swaps here, so I can't be the first to have these problems. hopefully.

Oh yeah, we put a 2 foot ruler running across the throttle body as a straight edge, measured to the radiator support, and there was a 1 CM difference from one end of the ruler to the other. That 1 CM difference translated to a good bit of offset back on the transmission tailshaft.

Part 2

Well the motor mounts are on correctly...

One thing i noticed is that it seems like the engine/drivetrain sit just a little too far forward. When i look how the transmission bushing is positioned on the trans crossmember, it looks like it needs to go forward about a quarter an inch further to get the bolt through, and thats taking into account the 'wiggle room' the oval eyelet on the crossmember gives you.

Also, when i put the k member on the engine while it was on the engine stand, i noticed there was about a quarter inch gap between the clamshell mount on the engine and either side of the 'wishbone' on the k member where single bolt slides through, mating the two.

I took it upon myself to shim the gap with washers, an equal amount on either side of the clamshell, basically centering the clamshell between the wishbone on each side. Now i am wondering - was that gap left intentionally to allow you some flexibility when buttoning the drivetrain as far as front/back and left/right movement is concerned? I didnt make the connection at the time that the transmission crossmember being mated to the car then the transmission would prevent any front to back movement that i was concerned about from the gap on either side of the clamshell.

I dunno....i am basically throwing darts at the wall in a dark room at this point....thoughts?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Bueller??
Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello there. From what I can see from this photo, everything is correct. From the factory, the engine and driveline sit slightly toward the passenger side, partially because of the torque arm.

Here is another correctly installed setup similar to yours. Notice that it sits much closer to the passenger side.

- Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Drivetrain slightly crooked after K member swap, reinstall-ls1-4l60-relocation-kit.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply Kevin. My concern is that the trans bushing is still about half an inch or slightly less too far to the passenger side to run the single bolt through the transmission crossmember.

Also, we did measure with a straight edge in the throttle body and it does appear the engine is sitting in the engine bay slightly ...enough to probably account for that half inch discrepancy on the tailshaft.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo462
Thanks for the reply Kevin. My concern is that the trans bushing is still about half an inch or slightly less too far to the passenger side to run the single bolt through the transmission crossmember.

Also, we did measure with a straight edge in the throttle body and it does appear the engine is sitting in the engine bay slightly ...enough to probably account for that half inch discrepancy on the tailshaft.
Hmm, it looks installed from the photo. Have you tried tweaking the trans over and seeing if that does anything? Sometimes the motor and trans will settle where they want and you have to tell it what to do. Once it's where it needs to be it should stay there without a problem. Start by loosening the motor mounts and then try moving the trans over and bolting it down. Once it's in there tighten the motor mounts back down and you're good to go. Let me know if that works.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Hmm, it looks installed from the photo. Have you tried tweaking the trans over and seeing if that does anything? Sometimes the motor and trans will settle where they want and you have to tell it what to do. Once it's where it needs to be it should stay there without a problem. Start by loosening the motor mounts and then try moving the trans over and bolting it down. Once it's in there tighten the motor mounts back down and you're good to go. Let me know if that works.

- Kevin
had this same issue with my trans mount bolt not lining up, was off by maybe a half inch though, and had to pursuade it a lil..havent had any issues..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

So yep...pulled the bolts from the motor mounts, removed the washers, and I had plenty of play to get the tailshaft where it needed to be and the transmission crossmember all bolted up.

Thanks for the advice Kevin!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo462
So yep...pulled the bolts from the motor mounts, removed the washers, and I had plenty of play to get the tailshaft where it needed to be and the transmission crossmember all bolted up.

Thanks for the advice Kevin!
Great man, glad everything worked out for you!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain slightly crooked after K member swap, reinstall