Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BEST Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEST Suspension?

Is their any "best" suspension setup for fbodies out their? Like a good setup that you can make it feel like a bmw suspension were you dont feel the road at all? someone told me something about air suspension but not sure what it is?

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks play the biggest part.... Konis.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

have blinstein shocks though, but not sure if they're old or its just me feels like it could handle better
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

call Sam Strano
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

+1 for Strano. Tell him how you want the car to feel and if it's mechanically possible he'll get you there.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by needtransam
Is their any "best" suspension setup for fbodies out their? Like a good setup that you can make it feel like a bmw suspension were you dont feel the road at all? someone told me something about air suspension but not sure what it is?

Haha, terrific question with hundreds of answers and opinions. The key piece of criteria you said was "BMW." Comparing a car with a live axle to an IRS car is difficult but, thankfully, there are options out there to help the car feel tighter and more composed, like a Bimmer. The first step will be Koni shocks. They're one of the most balanced replacement shocks for the F-body and will transform your car.

The next step, if you're looking to improve your handling would be a good set of springs and sway bars. Our spring rates deliver stellar ride comfort for a lowering spring and once combined with our sway bars and the Konis, the car will feel "crisp" and "taught." When it comes down to not feeling the road, that's where the live axle rears its ugly head. There are simply scenarios where having a solid axle out back will cause the car to track oddly over certain road imperfections. So you won't be able to eliminate that entirely, but the shocks alone will help out a lot. The sway bar being thicker, however, can impact the ride over certain bumps since it's a thicker, stiffer bar that will tie the front lower A-arms together.

If you're interested, we can set you up with a package on the aforementioned parts at a killer price. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well shoot me what you have I have blinstein shocks and struts that's what the car came with so ill see if I can sell those and get something better, im pretty broke but shoot me what you offer and ill gladly take a look over it
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

koni s/a shocks,strano springs,strano sway bars thats what im doing.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First I have to ask, what BMW have you been in? I don't know of any that you "don't feel the road at all", not by any means. BMW's give great feedback and you certainly feel road.
Are you looking for more of an old cadillac kind of ride?

have blinstein shocks though, but not sure if they're old or its just me feels like it could handle better
The car certainly could handle better (like already stated, konis make a HUGE difference).
I would talk to Sam Strano, hes the only sponsor on here that competes(and wins national titles) with 4th gen Fbodies in handling events: stranoparts.com
Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BMR springs and KYB adjustable shocks. Got this package from BMR and have been very happy with it not to mention all the props I get for its stance.

Shipping was fast too!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm sure this will turn sour fast. But I'll try anyway.

Handling is what I do. I don't do drag cars. I have developed my own springs and swaybars. I have 14 SCCA National Championships in various cars (many in 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies). Others might sell "similar" parts, or even the same parts. But it's easy to sell parts. What's not easy is setting the things up right, learning what works and *why*, and proving the result.

I've been doing this for a while now, I've got the results. I've got the knowledge. The worst thing anyone can say (and likely will) is that I can be gruff, or I'm a dick. Well, when you bust your *** for years and have folks swipe your work, or otherwise use you, it can be frustrating. But all in all 95% of folks are thrilled with me and the result, and 4% might not love me, but still love the result. My biggest issue, I don't play games. I want you to have what you need to get the result you want. Which means, when folks call and say "I want my car to handle better" I'm stuck. I need you to work with me, nobody calls and says they want their stuff to work like crap if you know what I mean. And I'm not one to slap you on the back and tell you "sure, do this and this and you're done". If you want that, I am not your guy.

If you want honest to goodness proven knowledge, from the very person who does the setup and development work, and wins the championships.... Well, then I'm your guy. And allow me to add that I live in Western PA, not in a place in the south where roads are pretty and nice, and not very demanding. My stuff, even my race cars work on the roads we have here. And there are results proving that too in the form of a car that ran between Queens NY and NJ every car right through NYC.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Talking to Sam sometimes is like talking to the male version of Judge Judy. Direct, blunt, and comes off as rude and condescending to s lot of people. Lol!!!
One thing is that he is passionate about what he does. Not to get too far of on a tangent. But here is thd order of what i did in my chase of the best suspension setup for a daily driver/canyon carver.
1) TIRES!! (continental dws)<<<best value for daily driving
2) got welded subframes (immediate notice of car feeling more rigid)
3) got on car adjustable Koni shocks(noticed a dramatic difference not so much when daily driving but when pushing my car hard on cruises in the hills)
4) STRANO lowering springs and PHB

NEXT UP: lower control arms, sway bars, torque arm
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam strano, probably not going to read it here but, i want a suspension that give ride quality to the best, what I meant by bmw it as an example, what I really mean is like new vehicles have really good suspension that feels like your floating in the air and not touching the ground, feels so comfortable and nice
Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

For what this is worth, I'm not generally a rude jerk. It takes two to tango and it's extremely frustrating to me when people expect me to be a mind reader, or make cracks about how it might have taken some time for me to respond, etc. I'm damned busy and I do my best to keep up and get things done in a timely manner. In fact phone calls are usually delayed because I'm taking the time to talk to people about their setups in detail, or trying to get stuff shipped out ASAP. This isn't a mega-business, I don't have 3 or 4 employees sitting here waiting to respond to messages, and even if I did it would never change the fact that I'm trying to do the best job I can with your money. That seems to **** some people off, I guess they just want to buy something just to feel good about "improving" their car.

Enough of that, onto needatransam's question.

I understand what you want, you want really good control without bleeding kidney's and a jarring ride. We can do that, in fact there are different ways to do it, to varying degrees. If lowering isn't a personal necessity, then I wouldn't (how many would recommend to NOT buy their lowering springs?) because the real truth is that the best ride comes from killer shocks on stock springs. The shocks deal with the impact harshness and then also tie the car down on rebound (and yes, Koni's rock here). I'd also probably recommend a set of sway bars too to help with the roll control, but the bars don't effect the ride like lowering springs. But there are other options, and frankly it's hard to do this online for a lot of reasons (lack of detail, unknown budget, etc). If you want advice then call me. If you think you know on your own you can order via the website, though I will have to call you once you submit the order for payment as I will not take CC's online anymore. Too many hacker issues, when major companies get hacked I don't want to take the risk. A little old fashioned, but then your information is safe.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes sam I see your point, and well I don't know you so I really can't and won't judge you because to begin with I'm not like that, but Ill give you a call and see what we can figure out I appreciate your business thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam strano, probably not going to read it here but, i want a suspension that give ride quality to the best, what I meant by bmw it as an example, what I really mean is like new vehicles have really good suspension that feels like your floating in the air and not touching the ground, feels so comfortable and nice
It's interesting what different people consider the best ride quality. I'm not completely sure if what you are looking for is possible, but it sounds like you want to use the stock springs and bilstien shocks.

If you hit really big ruts and bad roads, in my opinion nothing will make the Camaro feel good over that.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh I just noticed you mentioned you have bilstiens. oops.

What size wheels do you have? Go with a 16 inch wheel if possible.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to think I got one of the best packages out there

Strano springs
Koni SA shocks
MWC Watts link
LCAs with low reloaiton brackets.

the only thing I am lacking is strano swaybars

Quick Reply: BEST Suspension?