Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes problem

So the day after I get my car inspected my brakes feel soft. The guy that did the inspection told me that he put some brake fluid in. As I'm pulling up to a red light they damn near go to the floor. I pull over, look around, master is full, I see a line of oilyish fluid on the inner fender well of my front driver. A friend halps me bleed them and I get some air out, still soft though. I get it home, slowly, and I take off that caliper. It's fine but I did notice the banjo bolt for the line was a little wet. About 4 months ago I did a motor swap and had to disconnect my brake lines on the ABS block. When I put it all back together, as I was bleeding I realized that I did not fully tighten the fittings on the ABS block so I was getting some oil/air sputter out the top of the ABS block when bleeding, I tightened it and it seemed to be fixed. Would this cause problems 4 months down the road? I drive this car every day and haven't had problems until yesterday. I also took out the banjo bolt and noticed it was really tight in there.

could over tightening cause the crush seals to be damaged causing a slow leak over the months or could it be a slow occurring problem back when I bled them 4 months ago having air come out of the ABS block? I know those ABS blocks are sensitive and sometimes have to have a tech II bleed. Thought it was obvious when i saw oil on the fender well, looked like it dripped in my wheel from the banjo bolt possibly and sprayed around while driving.

Also when I tried to put the banjo back on it just kept spinning.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the bolt kept spinning then it's stripped.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I know that but it was after I took the caliper off, the loss of brake pressure was before.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow to get a new banjo bolt and seals and possibly a new caliper from local AP, then bleed the whole system. If that doesn't work then I'll take it to get Tech II bleeding done to make sure it's out of the ABS block and if that doesn't work then I'll be getting a new master cylinder I'm sure... Should cover everything, hope for the best!