Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake conversion

AYO. 2002 camaro z28. slp CAI and catback. diablo predator, tuned on dyno. got some new rotors and pads awhile back, work well. im thinking they last another 10000-15000 miles.

+what is a good brake conversion kit? would it come with new stainless steel line? or should i upgrade my line now, and they will work with the kit?

-I was thinking c5 brake upgrade kit
EDIT: BAER Front GT-Claw Brake System, 1400 on hop up racing com
**I will be getting bigger wheels before i buy the brake conversion, because i know most brake upgrades will not fit with my 16 inch stock wheels.

thanks

Last edited by philaeagle51; 01-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Baer GT+ kit with stainless braided lines on my 95 bird and it is a great kit. I like to run in the canyons and I have yet to experience brake fade and I push my car pretty hard. I will also say that regular braking will dramatically improved too.
Attached Thumbnails brake conversion-baer-brake-pic1.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

thanks. sounds like a fun time. one question, do the stainless steel lines come with the kit? im considering buying SS lines now, to imporve the ability of my stock brakes while i have them. Just dont want to buys lines and then get new ones in the kit, or have the ones i would buy now, not fitt the GT kit.

thanks! they look great on the car
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt waste time on that gt kit.....sponsers have lines at great prices just have to search the boards. most portion kits do not come with SS lines. The cts-v brembo 4 piston fronts with 14" rotors is a great choice and popular and bolt with up given you need 18" rims and the right clearance for the caliper......

******also the brand new cts-v 6 piston fronts with the 14" rotors is also the best price solution over that kit and you get a pretty sick setup for the front
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...els/index.html
Old 01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
AYO. 2002 camaro z28. slp CAI and catback. diablo predator, tuned on dyno. got some new rotors and pads awhile back, work well. im thinking they last another 10000-15000 miles.

+what is a good brake conversion kit? would it come with new stainless steel line? or should i upgrade my line now, and they will work with the kit?

-I was thinking c5 brake upgrade kit
EDIT: BAER Front GT-Claw Brake System, 1400 on hop up racing com
**I will be getting bigger wheels before i buy the brake conversion, because i know most brake upgrades will not fit with my 16 inch stock wheels.

thanks
You'll want to focus on how the wheel and calipers will fit together. Even though a given brake system may clear the hoop of a larger wheel, you may find out that the face of the caliper interferes with the spokes. Find out what wheel, and offset, you'll be going with, and then see if you can find out if the brakes you want will fit with that wheel in that offset.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt waste time on that gt kit
...I disagree completely, that being said yes there are better brake upgrades for cheaper (if found used). However this is a complete kit minus the brake lines. Which can be purchased in addition when buying the kit.

Now with the cts-v, zo6 and those like it, you most likely will have to piece together the kit. You may get lucky and find someone selling everything you need...again maybe! Or you buy it all at one time through a dealer or parts supplier, but then it is no longer a cheaper option. Wether you get the parts new or used is up to you.

Now remember these are not direct bolt on kits. You are going to have to modify you spindals in order to get them to bolt on. I had to hack up my stock spindals in order to get the GT+ kit to fit on my LT1. But if memory serves me correct the LS1 spindles don't need to be modified as much. So the kit is much easier to install.

You also have to consider what wheels you are going to be running. All brake kits vary on minimum wheel size. The good thing about the GT+ kit is you can still run a 17in. wheel if you like. I had the stock WS6 wheels on with this brake kit.
Good luck with which ever option you choose.

Last edited by musclehead; 01-31-2012 at 03:27 PM.