Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Odd creak and clunk from rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Odd creak and clunk from rear

I have seen alot of threads about odd noises from their rear end but couldnt really find an answer. I just installed a moser 9 with adj panhard and upper panhard relocate. i now have a creak/clunk whenever i go over bumps and around corners. if i had to guess i need to hit the panhard bushings with a grease gun... its BMR but it could also be the LCA bushings althought they seemed to look fine when i inspected them. Any idea?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I have seen alot of threads about odd noises from their rear end but couldnt really find an answer. I just installed a moser 9 with adj panhard and upper panhard relocate. i now have a creak/clunk whenever i go over bumps and around corners. if i had to guess i need to hit the panhard bushings with a grease gun... its BMR but it could also be the LCA bushings althought they seemed to look fine when i inspected them. Any idea?
Sounds right. LCAs and the PHB need grease, especially if they are poly.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

when i get a chance ill try re-tightening the LCA, i didnt use a torque wrench and i read they need like 80lbs
Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Well I got rid of one of the noises from my rear( torqued lca to 80 and adj trq arm some to get rid of vibration but havnt greased phb yet, do they come pregreased from bmr?) but I still have a squeak from my rear drivers side over bumps and a moan/creak when the rear really flexes on uneven terrain... Worth mentioning I have new swaybar links and greased the swaybar bushings a couple weeks ago...
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine squeaks like a conastoga wagon from the wild west.

Bu my car is lowered. The mounting bosses for the torque arm on the diff hit the body. They have dented the bottom of the car. Plus, the torque arm sits off to the side and rides against the driveshaft tunnel. Also, I get a lot of gear noise telegraphing into the car because of this.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

I have good clearance on the torque arm, i do have a good clearance on the torque arm with nothing rubbing and its not a bang or clunk, more of a loud moan as the rear moves around, it honestly has to be the panhard, and the little squeak is either bushing at top of shocks or i guess maybe swaybar link even though its new :/ . trying to get the noises out of the car before i go the the next step in my build... lonnies double pumper
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well the poly bushings might need some lubes.

If you're an stock ride height, all your bits will clear the body better than me. My car is low now
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I have 1" slp springs
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Like others have said , a bit of grease on the poly ends will help alot.

Also, just wanting to make sure that you had the car at ride height when you tightened everything down. If not you could be inducing the noise do to creating a "binding" situation.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PHR - most likely needs tightening on the adjustable nut(s) or the mount. Twice now I've chased a creak, squeak, etc.. only to finally give in and take it to my friend how tightened the ONE NUT that I didn't think to do...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

ill retighten my swaybar links with the suspension loaded, i put the car up on blocks last night and pushed it up and down and heard some noise there. i dont have a grease gun so ill run by somewhere and have them greased. Ill also try to retighten the PHB
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open your hatch and pull on the inside lip of the fender to shake the car to side to side... that's how my friend very quickly made me look dumb and verified the PHB was loose. Up and down motions might not reproduce the sound.

Quick Reply: Odd creak and clunk from rear