Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Suspension & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Suspension & Brakes
Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Sponsored by
Weld Racing

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default How to tell if wheel bearings are bad?

So last week I finally decided to take my car in and get it looked at, due to a squeaking sound coming from the back that I can't find. They told me that they couldn't be sure of where the squeaking sound was coming from, but they did let me know that both rear wheel bearings were going bad and that they might be creating the sound.

My questions are, how do you diagnose a wheel bearing that's going bad? He said it had too much play in it when he moved it, I forget which direction.

Also, could bad wheel bearings be causing that squeaking sound? I usually hear the sound when I brake, it gets louder. But sometimes it's there when I'm not braking.

They quoted me $188 for both rear wheel bearings, parts and labor. Does that seem fair?
WhiteKnight '01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to transambrotha

I get that kind of sound when I'm doing normal braking too from the rear. I'm pretty sure my wheel bearings are bad too as well as the rest of the bearings back there.

98 Black Pontiac Trans Am-all stock for now
07 Black Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quadcab Hemi
transambrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

That's not a bad price. I called a shop earlier and the price was roughly the same with me supplying the parts.
FinZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

BUMP! Any more ideas on my situation?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 14

One good way to tell if a wheel bearing is bad is by taking hold of the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock and attempting to shake it while the wheel is lifted off the ground.

The amount of 'wiggle' room that your wheel has is play. no play in the wheel. or such a small amount that you arent even sure if you moved the wheel or if you are just shaking the whole car.

If you do have play in your wheel, you need to replace your wheel bearings or hub. If there is no play in your wheel, that doesn't necessarily mean your wheel bearing is good.

When you rotate the wheel by hand, and experience roughness or noise, this too can indicate bad wheel bearings.

also... you can eliminate it being just ordinary brake noise if it makes sounds even when not braking..

My Build Thread - LSx 408 Foxbody with a Procharger F1c - Project Blasphemy - a Work in Progress
soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
One good way to tell if a wheel bearing is bad is by taking hold of the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock and attempting to shake it while the wheel is lifted off the ground.

The amount of 'wiggle' room that your wheel has is play. no play in the wheel. or such a small amount that you arent even sure if you moved the wheel or if you are just shaking the whole car.

If you do have play in your wheel, you need to replace your wheel bearings or hub. If there is no play in your wheel, that doesn't necessarily mean your wheel bearing is good.

When you rotate the wheel by hand, and experience roughness or noise, this too can indicate bad wheel bearings.

also... you can eliminate it being just ordinary brake noise if it makes sounds even when not braking..
Thank you for the helpful tips. I am almost 100% confident it's not the brakes. It was making this same sound a month ago, I replaced all 4 rotors and pads and the sound is still there. The sound usually intensifies when I slow down or apply the brakes, but half the time it's still there even when I'm not using the brakes. Do you think the sound is coming from the wheel bearings? And does $188 all parts and labor seem like a good price to you?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
TECH Fanatic
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 6

when my wheel bearings went out then made a distinctive grinding noise, but I was dumb and let it got so I had to replace my axles as well.
CamaroSS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS27 View Post
when my wheel bearings went out then made a distinctive grinding noise, but I was dumb and let it got so I had to replace my axles as well.
How long did you let it go for? I had it diagnosed as bad last week. Put maybe 300 miles on since then. I'm thinking I should get them done this Friday.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01 View Post
Thank you for the helpful tips. I am almost 100% confident it's not the brakes. It was making this same sound a month ago, I replaced all 4 rotors and pads and the sound is still there. The sound usually intensifies when I slow down or apply the brakes, but half the time it's still there even when I'm not using the brakes. Do you think the sound is coming from the wheel bearings? And does $188 all parts and labor seem like a good price to you?
considering I just went through a recent sudden catastrophic wheel bearing failure....
$140 Tow Truck
$75 in Bearings(did both at the same time)
$75 to press both of them on the axles

I did all the labor of getting the axles out myself and putting the axles back in after wards... plus the cost of a gear oil change

I'd say $188 is a pretty good price.

My Build Thread - LSx 408 Foxbody with a Procharger F1c - Project Blasphemy - a Work in Progress
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01 View Post
So last week I finally decided to take my car in and get it looked at, due to a squeaking sound coming from the back that I can't find. They told me that they couldn't be sure of where the squeaking sound was coming from, but they did let me know that both rear wheel bearings were going bad and that they might be creating the sound.

My questions are, how do you diagnose a wheel bearing that's going bad? He said it had too much play in it when he moved it, I forget which direction.

Also, could bad wheel bearings be causing that squeaking sound? I usually hear the sound when I brake, it gets louder. But sometimes it's there when I'm not braking.

They quoted me $188 for both rear wheel bearings, parts and labor. Does that seem fair?
wheel bearings will not make a squeaking noise. more often than not, they'll emit a "howling" kind of noise. imagine an a-10 cruising just above ya. that's the sound most wheel bearings will make.
1ltcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
wheel bearings will not make a squeaking noise. more often than not, they'll emit a "howling" kind of noise. imagine an a-10 cruising just above ya. that's the sound most wheel bearings will make.

when mine suddenly let go... I had no noise previous....and then I had a big grinding/squeaking combined noise that definitely was a "rotational" rhythm to it...

so they do "squeak"...but usually not in the way it is being described in the first post..LOL

it almost always sounds more like grinding...

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
when mine suddenly let go... I had no noise previous....and then I had a big grinding/squeaking combined noise that definitely was a "rotational" rhythm to it...

so they do "squeak"...but usually not in the way it is being described in the first post..LOL

it almost always sounds more like grinding...
Well let me tell you. Mine do squeak, and it sounds like it's the freaking brakes, because they get louder when I get on the brakes. But it has that "rotational rhythm" to it, gets slower as I slow down, faster as I speed up.

AND! There is another noise I forgot to mention previously. More like a creaking sound, almost reminds me of old wooden floor boards. This noise comes when I'm going 5-10MPH while braking, right when the car comes to a stop I can hear this groaning creaking sound from the back, not exactly a grind though.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

and this is what happens when a Timken Tapered Bearing has Catastrophic failure..LOL
Attached Thumbnails
How to tell if wheel bearings are bad?-imag0278.jpg   How to tell if wheel bearings are bad?-imag0279.jpg   How to tell if wheel bearings are bad?-imag0280.jpg  

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
LS1Tech Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
considering I just went through a recent sudden catastrophic wheel bearing failure....
$140 Tow Truck
$75 in Bearings(did both at the same time)
$75 to press both of them on the axles

I did all the labor of getting the axles out myself and putting the axles back in after wards... plus the cost of a gear oil change

I'd say $188 is a pretty good price.
+1 on the $188. At least that would eliminate that as a source of the problem if it wasn't the problem...

That price seems perfectly reasonable.

ramey
+1.814.343.6315

UMI Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the help guys. I will be getting these things replace on Friday.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2002, bad, bearing, bearings, brakes, camaro, dodge, groaning, ls1, problems, ram, rear, sound, squeaking, wheel