Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

does anybody make a "lighter weight" spindle that will handle street use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default does anybody make a "lighter weight" spindle that will handle street use?

I'm not talking about the lightest possibly... Just something lighter than stock ones...
perhaps a drag racing spindle that has extra bracing to strengthen it for the street somehow?

I'm just in the hunt for ways to lose some weight...and still be safe on the street..
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I'm not talking about the lightest possibly... Just something lighter than stock ones...
perhaps a drag racing spindle that has extra bracing to strengthen it for the street somehow?

I'm just in the hunt for ways to lose some weight...and still be safe on the street..
Have you done a K-member and lower A-Arms? They are absolutely safe on the street and will save you a little over 40lbs off the nose, about 7 or 8 lbs will be unsprung.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Have you done a K-member and lower A-Arms? They are absolutely safe on the street and will save you a little over 40lbs off the nose, about 7 or 8 lbs will be unsprung.

- Kevin
yeah... I'm well past that point...LOL
Chrome moly Tubular K-member and A-Arms, lower and upper....

I have a thread in the drag racing section....My car is a fat bitch...

I actually think I have solved where some of my weight is....but I'm going to try to get serious so I'm looking at the other pieces as well
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Haha, ok Scott. I'm sure you have your car gutted then and all that jazz. As for the spindles, I know there are drop spindles, but I haven't come across a lightweight spindle setup for the cars yet.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Haha, ok Scott. I'm sure you have your car gutted then and all that jazz. As for the spindles, I know there are drop spindles, but I haven't come across a lightweight spindle setup for the cars yet.

yeah.. the problem is that the stock spindles while strong, are heavy....
and the lightweight spindles that I can find, are all kind of flimsy and wont hold up to street use on a daily basis.

I've found a video of the Racecraft ones being flexed with a little Human Body weight....not good in my opinion...

I'm already going to switch to a light weight drag brake up front, and I thought maybe I could add a set of lighter spindles while I'm at it...

but maybe not if nobody has built one that will hold up on the street.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i havent found anything i would run on my street car, wish i could though
Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

and the lightweight spindles that I can find, are all kind of flimsy and wont hold up to street use on a daily basis.

I've found a video of the Racecraft ones being flexed with a little Human Body weight....not good in my opinion...

I'm already going to switch to a light weight drag brake up front, and I thought maybe I could add a set of lighter spindles while I'm at it...

I researched this some time ago. The problem seems to come from being a tall spindle, and it's shape. To get any real savings, and keep the strength, it seems you'd have to make it out of an exotic material. Aluminum is 1/3 the strength of steel (the spindle is iron), so it would need to be much thicker, and their goes your weight savings. That leaves titanium. We're talking a casting or a forging too, not a fabricated part.

There aren't many enthusiasts left here that want to cough up that kind of cash on cars the sell for $6k-$13k. Maybe 10+ years ago, not now.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Give me a call... I may have your solution
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout grinding some material off? Not a whole bunch to make it weak though.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about using a mill to machine some holes in it?

I would venture to guess the weakest area is where the corners are, so don't remove anything from here, but the large flat area, I would think you could mill some holes and even make it a little more narrow, perhaps. I would also only remove from the middle area, not near the sides, if removing metal all the way through.

I think about stuff like this all the time - where can I mill some material off and save some weight and still keep my stock parts? 1-3 lbs here and there would ad dup over time. Things like seat brackets, pedals, door panels, ect all seem like they could use a little trimming

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 02-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: does anybody make a "lighter weight" spindle that will handle street use?