Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 IRS/trans and tube in fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C5 IRS/trans and tube in fbody?

Well guys, I wasnt quite sure where to put this type of thread, so since its partly suspension related, I picked this forum.

I've been pondering this for quite some time, I want some insight if possible, and some opinions.

I know that the c4 IRS is capable of being swapped into an fbody with relitivly light modification with an experienced fabricator, but the same problems the fbodies have still exist even with a c4 Irs setup. While the car may handle substantially better than that of an fbody with a straight axle the issues of ground clearance for exhaust, and weight distribution still exist.

My idea is a custom installation of a c5 corvettes IRS, torque tube, and rear mounted transmission into a 4th gen fbody. I've done a tad bit of searching and noticed the width of the cars are only slightly different, fbody being 74.1" wide, and c5's being only 76.3" wide. So with just slightly different offset wheels would fix this problem. I also noticed that The wheel bases of both cars is also very close to one another, fbody being 101.1" and c5 being 104.5". Therefore shortening of the torque tube of just a few inches would enable the torque tube, transmission and entire rear suspension cradle to be installed into an fbody, of course with a slew of fabrication done to make it all mount up. Regardless, it seems completely possible in reality of someone wanting to spend the money to do it. (doubtful) this modification would seemingly fix all ground clearance issues with long tube headers, and true dual exhaust systems hanging too low. You'd be able to fab the exhaust up tight against the motor and Bellhousing and have all the room where the transmission was to fab up the ypipe, and then the duals would have room to go all the way back In the tunnel, seemingly just like the c5. It would also improve weight distribution by relocating the trans to the rear of the car. It would make for a great handling, ls powered IRS car with the capabilities of being extremely low to the ground with no issues of exhaust brewing caught up. Essentially it would make it a corvette with an fbodies body on it. Only heavier. Lol
(Note: I know this idea would not be feasible in a real life situation in terms of financial responsibility, because buying a c5 would likely by cheaper and better when all said and done with fabrication, modification, and parts involved. But it would definitly be one off.)

For someone with a wrecked c5, spare fbody, handfull of fabrication skills, along with a garage full of tools, and a lot of money. Here you go.

For everyone else, keep making drag fbodies.

Just an idea, gm should have done it this way. Too bad they made the vette.. Lol
Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
issues of ground clearance for exhaust, and weight distribution still exist.
They do not still exist. You'll have just as much room to run dual 3" exhaust if you want to. The real issues with the C4 IRS are it's camber curve, and toe control. You gain about a degree from static ride height to full compression at around 3" of compression travel. Since the C4 uses loaded half shafts, when the the u-joints wear, or the side gears develop play from wear, wobble can be introduced. There are also slight toe changes because the toe link doesn't stay in line with the half shaft through out its travel).

There is already someone attempting a C5 transaxle swap on a thirdgen (see Thirdgen.org for more details). Several first gen's have been tried (Ironworks (Radical '69 Camaro), and 21st Century Street Machines, and a few others), a few completed, but most fail as it turns in to a major money pit.

Orange_99_SS is planning a C5 swap in to his 2000 Trans Am.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 02-07-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better idea: buy a C5.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Better idea: buy a C5.
This. Unless you're trying to build a unique car for show you're in for a lot of heart ache. You'll be in for a lot of grief anyway, even if unique and show quality is your goal, but at least you know what you're getting in to.

As I stated in my own thread about this topic. IRS in a 4th gen is a show piece for your own satisfaction. Even if you know for sure it would be allowed in the class you race in, I can see the frown from here with the grief this modification will give you.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He had one but it got wrecked.

Basically it sounds like something todo if you just wanted to try something unique and you got a lot of time on your hands.

If you are doing it to make the Camaro perform better in racing, then I suggest not doing it for that reason. The rear axle suspension doesn't handle that badly. Furthermore usually seat time and experience is the top reason why people get faster.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

I have already seen pictures from a shop in NC doing and IRS swap on a firebird..
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I have already seen pictures from a shop in NC doing and IRS swap on a firebird..
Are you talking about Jay Cutshaw's 94 Firebird? He runs Zeus Performance, and did this swap 6 years or so ago.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

exactly... so i am sure there is tons of info out there...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
exactly... so i am sure there is tons of info out there...
Jay did a C4 swap. The OP wants a C5 swap complete with the torque tube and transaxle. There is info on it, but it's much more involved than the C4.

Quick Reply: C5 IRS/trans and tube in fbody?