Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Undecided Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Undecided Suspension Setup

I am currently building another 4th gen f-body with a T56, and I would like to throw some ideas around with other members. My goals are to have a good handling car while still being able to go to the drag strip once or twice a year. I havent had the chance to call up Sam Strano and ask for his opinion as of yet.

I currently have UMI Roto/Roto on car adjustable LCA's and Panhard bar. I also have relocation brackets (the LCA's are in the stock holes unless i go to the drag strip) Also I am running an adjustable UMI full length torque arm with relocation crossmember. I am about to order my shocks, sways, and springs by the end of the weekend.

My initial plan was to order Strano springs, hollow swaybars (rear adjustable) and bilstein shocks. The rough cost is $1070

My other option is BMR's Level 3 koni handling package. which includes BMR springs, non adjustable hollow sway bars, and koni sport shocks (rear off car adjustable). The rough cost is $1200

My last option I have found is a mix between the two. BMR's Level 1 koni handling package that includes springs and koni sport shocks. (The rough cost is $920). I would then add Strano Adjustable hollow sway bars ($440) which would total $1360

I had originally planned for an $1000-$1250 budget but I could possibly make an exception.

Thank you members and vendors in advance
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I guess I'm a little perplexed. Your first option is my springs and bars (and the adjustable rear) but Bilstien's. The other guys you say Koni. I have Koni too, and my prices on those are better. Here's a hint, I can actually sell them for less than the price listed on the website. That price is reflected in my handling packages too. And I know that they are willing to literally give their springs away, I can't do it. And I won't do it. I have a proven product that sells for a very fair price, and you get the original not a facsimile.... and of course I'm able to help with setup, like shock settings, alignment, etc.

If you skipped the adjustable rear bar for the standard one, that's $70 more you save.

You stated "I havent had the chance to call up Sam Strano and ask for his opinion as of yet." I'm happy to help, but over the last few years my willingness to answer questions for folks who aren't already customers has been biting me in the ***. I still do it, but I have to very sincerely and honestly ask that if you call me to learn stuff, PLEASE consider that when you go to make your purchase. Luckily most of the time folks consider the information they got and come back to me (after all my pricing is more than fair). I certainly appreciate the business, and I have a hard time running my business on volume, I want folks to get stuff that works.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only reason i was switching shocks between compaines was to get the most out of what my budget allowed for. I really do appriciate the help and dedication you have provided to the f-body community. Thank you.

Also, Future plans (next year maybe) will be to add a fays 2 watts link. The decision for buying the adjustable rear sway bar was to help with my visits to the local drag strip. Thats the only reason for having the relocation brackets as well. I normally would have them setup in the standard positions.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have granatelli weld in subframe connectors and Baer Claw Track front brakes w/13" rotors (not installed yet) if anyone cares
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's any consolation.. I have the bilstein's I LOVE them. From the sounds of what you want, though, the Koni will probably be better for you. I've done a couple hard launches on my bilsteins, and while it certainly feels like I'm launching harder than before, the weight transfer isn't there like it was on 106K mile decarbons LOL. For me.. handling #1 Smooth ride #2 drag strip visits once or twice a year, the bilsteins were/are fine.... also allowed me to get some more bolt-on's in the budget . As for sam.. Ordered my bilsteins on a wednesday had them in my hand friday and in my car sunday
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you deal with sam you cant go wrong, he is the top guy to deal with imo, others just try to sell you parts at least he will sell you something that works well and thats what your looking for
Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone used the adjustable rear bar offered by strano? Is the added adjustability noticable when switching from corner carver to drag setup? I like the adjustability in suspension parts but am unsure if its going to benefit me enough to have (especially if I only end up with a set of Bilsteins)
Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Batman
Has anyone used the adjustable rear bar offered by strano? Is the added adjustability noticable when switching from corner carver to drag setup? I like the adjustability in suspension parts but am unsure if its going to benefit me enough to have (especially if I only end up with a set of Bilsteins)
You can definitely tell the difference when adjusting the swaybar positions with his bar. I like mine.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Batman
the only reason i was switching shocks between compaines was to get the most out of what my budget allowed for. I really do appriciate the help and dedication you have provided to the f-body community. Thank you.

Also, Future plans (next year maybe) will be to add a fays 2 watts link. The decision for buying the adjustable rear sway bar was to help with my visits to the local drag strip. Thats the only reason for having the relocation brackets as well. I normally would have them setup in the standard positions.

But you said Bilstein's here, Koni's there. I have Koni, and for less than they do (again, advertised price and selling price aren't necessarily the same thing). Further, while they have springs, they are not the same, and neither are their bars. Bear that in mind. I guess the issue that was odd to me was you didn't just change shocks, but the other items too like all else is equal, and it's not.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

point well taken, I may have been jumping to conclusions. i just tried calling... I guess will have to wait and try again.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have been unbelievably busy. I haven't been able to get to my voicemail for 3 days (hell, it could be full by now) just because I've been too busy doing orders, ordering other parts, boxes for springs, and about a hundred other things. But what takes most of my time is talking to customers. Trouble there is I can only talk to one person at a time. While I can do some multi-tasking like typing and talking (like right now in fact), I can't talk to more than one person at once. That's why I'm behind--I try to hard to make sure folks get what's best for their needs, and I'm only one guy.

So please do try back. I'm here, I'm not in any danger of being out of business. In fact it's the very opposite, and I now work a stupid amount of hours a day trying to just keep up.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I have been unbelievably busy. I haven't been able to get to my voicemail for 3 days (hell, it could be full by now) just because I've been too busy doing orders, ordering other parts, boxes for springs, and about a hundred other things. But what takes most of my time is talking to customers. Trouble there is I can only talk to one person at a time. While I can do some multi-tasking like typing and talking (like right now in fact), I can't talk to more than one person at once. That's why I'm behind--I try to hard to make sure folks get what's best for their needs, and I'm only one guy.

So please do try back. I'm here, I'm not in any danger of being out of business. In fact it's the very opposite, and I now work a stupid amount of hours a day trying to just keep up.
That's a good thing.

When I get some things paid off, I'll be buying some parts for you. I can't afford Koni's, but the Bilsteins are on the list. I am interested in your springs as well as the watts link. Oh, do I have a wish list for the SS. The wife will probably kill me.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I did get ahold of Sam. Thank you

Quick Reply: Undecided Suspension Setup