Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

life expentancy of bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default life expentancy of bilsteins

I have bilteins hd in the rear and the ride is getting more and more harsh. Also getting some mild wheel hop. The shocks have probable 60- 70k miles on them. Should I look into a warranty claim with bilstein or just order some new one's?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Launching!

It's getting time to change em out.
Be sure to check all your rear suspension pieces also.
You would be surprised on what is getting old and binding also.
Don't count out the springs specially if they are variable rate pieces.
Stick with straight wound springs.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

According to Bilstein, if the shock itself is still sealed, they do not need to be replaced. Bilstein told us that the shocks start to leak when they are worn. At your mileage I would expect them to have seen better days. haha They can be rebuilt for about $40-50 a shock and possibly under warranty.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ha Ha that's funny all that money. That's why I use Monroe. Just replaced mine and I love it!! Guaranteed for LIFE! Will replace Free when they wear out.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Ha Ha that's funny all that money. That's why I use Monroe. Just replaced mine and I love it!! Guaranteed for LIFE! Will replace Free when they wear out.
Funny you spent all that money on an LS1 Camaro when you could have just bought a Caviler, all chevys are the same right?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ HAHA the laugh of the day!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Launching!

My 03 S-10 with sport package came with Bilstien shocks, at around 100,000 miles 3 were blown and leaking, i would have sent them out for rebuilding i didnt know they could be rebuilt
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Funny you spent all that money on an LS1 Camaro when you could have just bought a Caviler, all chevys are the same right?

No... but when I can get shocks that are Made in America by Americans that have a real smooth, not stiff ride, for half the price and will get Free replacements as long as i own the car, that's hard to beat. I understand many of you guys are brainwashed into bilstiens but there are Other Good options also. It seems whever someone goes against what some people believe her then you are "stupid" well sorry guy's Monroe has been around a long time and does have a Good product also.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No... but when I can get shocks that are Made in America by Americans that have a real smooth, not stiff ride, for half the price and will get Free replacements as long as i own the car, that's hard to beat. I understand many of you guys are brainwashed into bilstiens but there are Other Good options also. It seems whever someone goes against what some people believe her then you are "stupid" well sorry guy's Monroe has been around a long time and does have a Good product also.
This is the second thread I've read where you're bringing up the "buy American" comment and you have no experience with the other shocks, correct?

you claim that you have a real smooth not stiff ride...compared to what, the factory decarbons?

Have you ever had anything other than the factory decarbons or Monroe Sensatracs in your car?

I'm pretty sure you have already stated that you havent so truly you have limited experience with anything other than Monroe's on your car, correct?

I've had the factory decarbons, Tokiko's, KYB/AGX's and Bilstein's and Koni's and your Monroe's provide limited performance potential and inferior craftmanship for our 4th-gens, this has been proven and has been brought up countless numbers of times on this website.

I don't know what you are trying to prove at this point but this "made in the USA" stuff is relevant to you and that's fine, it's not that important for others on this website nor is it pertinent to this topic at hand, the OP is asking about his Bilstein's.

So the Monroe's are cheap, that's great for you.

Performance-wise the Monroe's for 4th-gens are far from ideal.

To the OP, if you don't care about performance or handling characteristics and you do not push your car at all AND if you want to get cheaply made shocks for cheap AND have a lifetime warranty then I guess this guy's recommendations for Monroes are GREAT!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure your Camaro was made in Canada...
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

Oh God...here we go again.... ----Round 2 ding ding ding

Sorry OP...your question may never be answered....
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Rich, is your car lowered? Have you tried calling Bilstein and asked how the warranty process works? If they will fix/replace them at no cost to you, then I would do that. I'm all about pinching pennies though. If I can get around spending money, I will. lol

If they want you to send in the shocks, and your basically out of a car until they get back, then I would just get new ones. I would call and talk to them.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh boy, here we go again.

First, it's untrue that if the shock is not leaking it's fine. That's like saying if you didn't kick a rod out of the block the engine isn't blown up. Internal parts can fail. Seals wear, valves wear, oil breaks down, etc.

Second, they are likely not going to be warrantied, because everything wears. Worn out and/or busted and is different than worn. Again, think engines, one with mileage will likely not be as tight as a new one, but not ready for the trash either. If you were to put those on a car with 60k deCarbon's I bet that guy would say "wow"!

If there is nothing broken they won't cover them. Hell, they don't cover bushings coming out of the lower shock eye on some trucks (wear and tear).

***BTW, this is exactly the reason right here that I don't think Bilstein's are the best answer for lowering springs. The spring rate and drop both require more rebound control than a taller, softer spring like a stock one.***

I digress. As for Mr. Flagpole up his ***, 60k miles Bilstein's will still have more control than 600 mile Monroes on this car. And what's funny is that jackass seems to miss the fact I use Monroe in other vehicles. In fact in trucks I'm turning to their Reflex more and more from Bilstein's. But that is a whole different kettle of fish and he does not seem interested in the fact I have done that, or why because it does not fit his argument (if you can call it that) here.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 02-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
...As for Mr. Flagpole up his ***,...
I think that's the hardest I've laughed all day, thank you Sam. Really, LS1121, just quit. Monroe shocks are good in some cars but simply not good in others. The f-body is a car it simply is not good in.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

You like the Monroe's because it's personal preference, which doesn't make you wrong. Everyone has their own personal opinion. I don't know the difference because I've never compared. But your reasoning is that Monroe's are awesome shocks because you're personally satisfied with the ride quality compared to stock is not legitimate. There's other factors in there like the shock type, valving, build quality, etc that people should look at before making their decision, don't you think? Your opinion is fine, everyone is entitled to it.. but your really pushing the idea that Monroe's are like the same thing as Bilstiens and from the homework I've done in the recent past, I believe this is definitely not the case. This is why your getting so crap from people

As you can see you've bought a ton of things not made in America so your technically making yourself look like a hypocrit. Did you miss all those posts?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I use Monroe in other vehicles. In fact in trucks I'm turning to their Reflex more and more from Bilstein's. But that is a whole different kettle of fish and he does not seem interested in the fact I have done that, or why because it does not fit his argument (if you can call it that) here.
I'm quoting this just in case he missed it..
Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rich Z
I have bilteins hd in the rear and the ride is getting more and more harsh. Also getting some mild wheel hop. The shocks have probable 60- 70k miles on them. Should I look into a warranty claim with bilstein or just order some new one's?
Do you have stock springs or aftermarket?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No... but when I can get shocks that are Made in America by Americans that have a real smooth, not stiff ride, for half the price and will get Free replacements as long as i own the car, that's hard to beat.
You can get a 'Merikan made Cavalier for half the price of a canadian made Fbody, both have 4 wheels and get you from A to B, so whats the difference right?

I understand many of you guys are brainwashed into bilstiens but there are Other Good options also. It seems whever someone goes against what some people believe her then you are "stupid" well sorry guy's Monroe has been around a long time and does have a Good product also.
Irony right there, someone with drilled rotors calling someone else "brainwashed", especially when some of those people have tried all the different shocks in question, and still come to the same conclusion that the Sensatracs are total ****. Monroe makes some decent shocks, just not for our cars.
Just in case you missed it from the other thread:
Originally Posted by hodge9386
i cant say anything about agx's because i have never owned them but i did run the stock springs with monroe sensatrack shocks and it was the worst handling f body i have ever driven and my car only has 50k miles on it, hell i drove my buddies 95 z28 and another buddies 2000 v6 car and both rode better an handled better than my car. i just installed a set of Bilstein HD shocks and strano springs and it is a HUGE improvement over the monroe shocks and stock springs, it rides much better and handles much better. with the monroe shocks it was squishy (especially in the rear) and at high speeds the car would float and felt very unsafe. with the bilstein shocks and strano springs the car feels way more planted and feels like i can push the car way harder than i ever could before. so my opinion, get the bilsteins.
Originally Posted by bwkmaro
my car has 270,000 miles on it i put 170,000 on it since ive owned it (5 years) i put monroe sensacraps on it at 150,000, at 151,000 i put my stock decarbons back on and used the warranty they came with to get my money back, at 170,000 i put kyb agx's on (they were MUCH better than stock) at 210,000 the kyb's were pretty much seized they had completely blown and been dry for prob 5 months they would move with a hammer when removed. then i put bilstiens with slp springs. the stage 2 ss set up. was by far the best so far the car felt so much better at high speeds and rode dec. then at 260,000 i upgraded again to bmr springs and koni's and boy do i wish i saved myself the hassle, time and money. the car rides beautiful, handles beautiful and most of all feels like your behind the wheel of a sports car not grandmas caddy. i will always run koni from now on, my friends will always run koni from now on.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem with using Monroe... on an old DD or something of the like. But a performance car needs better shocks like Bilstein or Koni. I have Monroes on my old 95 Silverado because its a DD and is very non performance. lol

Quick Reply: life expentancy of bilsteins