Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Highway/Pothole "Float"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway/Pothole "Float"

Ok, I've just picked up a 96 Z28 and there's a few things wrong with it. The main issue is that on the highway/interstate whenever I leave a bridge or go over a raised part of concrete, the car has a "floating" feeling to it. It also happens in town at speed (35) whenever I go over a pothole. I know this isn't normal, but I can't figure out what exactly is wrong. I'm leaning towards the car needing new shocks, but I curious if anyone thinks some subframe connectors might solve this issue. Any expertise/input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles on the car?

"Floaty" usually means worn suspension components like ball joints, a-arm bushings first, then shocks and maybe sway bar links/bushings...and this, of course, is assuming the front end alignment is somewhat close.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Teching In

126,XXX.

I haven't had the chance to crawl under the car to see if there's any visible problems yet but I plan on attempting to do it today or tomorrow (so long as the snow holds off). The guy I bought the car from told me that the alignment was done a few months ago ... he was very upfront about everything so I have no reason to not assume it's close to where it should be.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 PM
BS
Launching!

I'm thinking that it's the shocks. Especially with that many miles on it.
Here are some of the warning signs that may indicate
worn shocks or struts. If you experience any of these
signs, you should have your shocks or struts inspected immediately.
1. Excessive Bounce On Rough Surfaces
2. Steering Wheel Vibrates
3. Uneven Tire Wear
4. Dented Or Damaged Housing
5. Nose-Diving When Braking
6. Noticeable Fluid Leaks From Shock Or Struts
7. Vehicle Veers In Crosswinds
8. Excessive Lean Or Sway In Turns

I don't think it's the other suspension components because I'd expect you to be complaining about the car wandering, pulling, erratic steering, excessive tire wear, leaning, or poor ride and handling.
If it were the ball joints you'd have a rough ride, play in steering wheel, slow or stiff steering wheel return or uneven tire wear.

Last edited by BS; 02-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to say sway bar links.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BS
I'm thinking that it's the shocks. Especially with that many miles on it.
Here are some of the warning signs that may indicate worn shocks or struts. If you experience any of these signs, you should have your shocks or struts inspected immediately.
1. Excessive Bounce On Rough Surfaces
2. Steering Wheel Vibrates
3. Uneven Tire Wear
4. Dented Or Damaged Housing
5. Nose-Diving When Braking
6. Noticeable Fluid Leaks From Shock Or Struts
7. Vehicle Veers In Crosswinds
8. Excessive Lean Or Sway In Turns

I don't think it's the other suspension components because I'd expect you to be complaining about the car wandering, pulling, erratic steering, excessive tire wear, leaning, or poor ride and handling.

If it were the ball joints you'd have a rough ride, play in steering wheel, slow or stiff steering wheel return or uneven tire wear.
The car does do some wandering ... discovered that today when me and the wife went for a nice little cruise down to the beach. It really only does it when I'm not on the gas much (like maintaining speed) but it did wander a little when I gunned it to merge from a light. I don't really have any of the problems you listed. Tire wear is ideal, as far as I can tell at the moment, and there's definitely no steering wheel vibrations or excessive bouncing.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

I know that I'm a little bit "****" about the potential wear-out items on the front ends of my cars, and since I have the experience/tools to replace the parts myself, it's a less costly situation for me. Therefore, at least for me, ball joints and/or control arm bushings are 50,000 mile replacement parts. At the risk of repeating myself, if you have well over 100,000 miles, I think your seeing the results of that wear. Just my $0.02 worth...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Fair enough. Since I want to replace them anyway, I'm thinking about picking up some new upper & lower control arms as well as the shocks.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by matthoef
Fair enough. Since I want to replace them anyway, I'm thinking about picking up some new upper & lower control arms as well as the shocks.
I can ceratinly see replacing the shocks, but why the arms? The bushings in your OE arms, yes, but I highly doubt you need new arms....
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Well, I'm a bit of a suspension freak. I love a car with a suspension properly (if not slightly overdone) done. I'm looking at the UMI Tubular Front Lower A-Arms- Roto-Joint/Roto-Joint and the UMI A-arm, pair of Uppers--Front, Adjustable to start my overhaul of the suspension.

Quick Reply: Highway/Pothole "Float"