Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Line Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Line Concerns

So I put on my SJM ABS Delete Kit with linelock this weekend. Major pain but not going to get into that. Anyways, I flared the lines and they all came out pretty good for the cheap tool I was using. I retained the factory steel braided lines and practiced flaring about 20 times on the extra line that I didnt use. I cut the lines, made my flares and bolted everything up. My buddy started to pump the brakes so we could start bleeding them and I noticed I had 5 leaks! I tightened everything down once more and still had 5 leaks so I took it apart and inspected it. 3 of my flares were leaking and 2 of the preflared lines were leaking. I slid the adapter up and wrapped teflon tape around the line and then slid it back down over it. I put it back on and tightened it up again. Started pumping, still had 2 of the original lines that were leaking leaking and 3 new leaks! So I did the teflon deal and put it back on. No leaks this time.

SO, my question is what can I do to make sure they never leak? Dont care if they will never come off again, I just want to not have to worry about it springing a leak when I'm driving down the highway and me dieing or killing somebody else. I have been checking the resevoir and lines for leaks before i drive it each time and it hasnt leaked, but it has me concerned that it may over time. Is there anything I can do to permanantly fix this?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I installed the same kit recently. You shouldn't use teflon tape on a flare fitting, if it leaks it's either because the flare isn't perfect or the fitting isn't tight enough.

Getting good flares on the factory lines is a major PITA, I had to remove all four from the car and flare them using the vise on my bench. Also had to use two of the clamp bar things back to back to keep the line from pushing through.

Are you using a flare nut wrench? Those fittings need to be pretty tight.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Launching!

I was using regular wrenchs... I put them on pretty tight but what gets me is that even the preflared lines were leaking, so I know my flares wernt that bad... I know teflon tape is just a band aid but my car is my dd so I had to get it to stop leaking to drive. Ill try a flare nut wrench and see if I can get them any tighter. Maybe that will ease my mind some if they tighten down some more...
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, i wanna get this kit too but it's starting to scare me cuz i'm seeing more threads about not being able to make good flares with this kit
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Teching In

It's not the kit, it's tough to make a proper flare on a line with the engine in. The factory lines are also a lot harder steel than the supplied lines in the kit. Getting a proper flare is essential and it's just tough to do in a tight space
Old 01-20-2016, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Flaring stock brake lines sucks. Here was my solution.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bs-delete.html
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a good flare tool... not from oreilys or some **** like that. I used a matco flair tool and make some very nice flares. still had like 2 leaks but just tightened them down good and they dont leak now.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Concerns