Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction

I have an 05 goat. Gonna keep it stock except a dyno tune. What suspension upgrades will help with launching? Also with stock 17" rims what is the widest tire I can stuff in back without rolling the fender?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by goatboy22
I have an 05 goat. Gonna keep it stock except a dyno tune. What suspension upgrades will help with launching? Also with stock 17" rims what is the widest tire I can stuff in back without rolling the fender?
Hey there. I have an '05 GTO and the biggest things you can do to help your car launch better are going to be rear cradle bushing and the differential bushing. the next mod is going to be air bag in the springs. We offer GTO drag bags that slide into the factory springs and will greatly reduce wheel hop and allow you to control rotation under launching by distributing the pressure the way you like. Some people run our bags only and solve their problem, but changing out these bushings will actually address the problem instead of working around it.

As for tires, I wouldn't go wider than a 245, personally, but some people run wider tires out back for the track. The widest you can run without rolling the fender will depend on what your rear wheel offset will be, but a 295 is about as tight as you're going to get back there before having to notch the rear control arms and CUTTING the fender lips out.

DB001

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Do u sell the bushings? Send me info jtgtp22@yahoo.com. thank you
Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Email has been sent.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help. Just wondering why u think I should leave my tires the same size. What tires would u recommend? On my o4 I had drs but I want a good street tire that can be used at the strip
Old 02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You want to keep it stock, but pay 500$ for a dyno that will do basically nothing on a stock car , and add $$suspension for launching. Which isn't going to be impressive or help much at all with not a single bolt-on. The stock suspension on f-bodys is solid as it is. Especially if you aren't adding any paticular mods. Spend your money elsewhere.

Last edited by justin hover; 02-23-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by goatboy22
Thanks for the help. Just wondering why u think I should leave my tires the same size. What tires would u recommend? On my o4 I had drs but I want a good street tire that can be used at the strip
The reason I suggest that you leave the tires the same size is because these cars are notoriously bad with tire fitment. Up front, the tire can rub against the strut FROM THE FACTORY after the upper strut mount collapses, which only takes a few thousand miles. Out back, the wheels are pushed to the edges from the factory and running an oversized tire on the 8-inch wide wheel can cause rubbing on the rear fenders - mainly because the OEM springs sag very badly but our bags will help fix that.

A 275 is a good size tire, but that really isn't a recommended tire size for that wheel, which is something I avoid. Traction is mainly generated by the firewall so whenever you run a tire too wide for a wheel, it will bow the side wall out and the tire will decrease in its effectiveness. Have you searched for some 16-inch BMR 3-series wheels? They will bolt right up and are cheap. Perfect for a set of Mickey ET Streets!
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 PM

As far as the tune goes I am looking to eliminate skip shift and change shift points etc. Not looking to gain tons of power. I am not looking to turn my car into a drag strip pig that has been altered to no end. I have cars that I feel are historically important and like to leave them stock. I have a 96 impala ss that is 100% stock and always will be. I had an 04. Goat and hated the wheelhop. It is not all about et with me. I will enjoy the car more tuned and without wheel hop. If I gain a tens or 2 great.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 PM

I don't think I want to chang out wheels. I like the stock look. I was considering lowering the car. Ne pointers there?