Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wife wiped out the V into a curb...pics of damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife wiped out the V into a curb...pics of damage

So anyways, yesterday my wife gets caught in the snow downfall on the way home and loses it and slides into a curb. doesnt tell me anything and today i was on my way out and as im leaving down the side street i notice that the steering wheel is cocked at 2-3 o'clock when driving straight and i know that something is definitely wrong. I go straight back home and get out to see a big *** chunk missing from the wheel edge. I know she hit something like a curb. I confronted her and she said she wiped out coming down a hill and slid sideways into a curb. So i pull out my jack and take the wheel off, I didnt notice anything damaged and even compared it to the drivers side but to me everything looked straight, but its definitely NOT. anyways its really hard to control the car the more city speeds you go (like even 40km/h and more) and when i hit a bump like a sewer cover, the car does a weird sloppy motion...

Anyways, from my understanding, the upper control arms will NOT bend correct, that will only break due to it being aluminum? How about the hub because I saw that is aluminum aswell...I'm just trying to rule out anything that may be damaged because I dont want the mechanic to hose me when i can tell him that part only breaks and doesnt bend... and I tried gmpartsdirect and they dont put part numbers, im trying to see what parts/part #'s from the base cts and the cts-v are interchangeable.

what are youre guys suggestions of the culprit? And all pics are of the passenger rear wheel

Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eveything will bend first.i hit a curb with my last car (iroc0 around an exit ramp. the *** kicked out then i lost it and both hit the curb. on mine it turned out o be an upper control arm. take both wheels off and compare each peice carefully.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

She didn't tell you about it
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Launching!

It does sound like something is bent, but I can tell you that I slid into a curb and damaged a front wheel beyond repair a couple of years ago. Surprisingly, nothing else was damaged except the alignment was way, WAY off afterwards. I had the same thing going on with the steering wheel being at 2-3 o'clock when driving straight.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Aluminum suspension pieces do bend. They can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. I'd try the alignment first.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
She didn't tell you about it
+1. Replace bent suspension components, replace wheel, replace wife.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The wheel can be fixed. A good place that does rim straightening should be able to get it looking almost like new. Unless you are looking for the repair, you'll never be able to tell where the wheel got messed up.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
wrencher

I see quite a bit of this everytime the snow flys.
You would be suprised what bend vs breaks.
I've seen the spindles bend or even crack around the wheel bearing.
Sometimes it's really hard to tell intially what all is damaged.
I have had wheels bent on the hub so they dont track strait any longer as well.

I bet your adjusting link @ the least is bent.
Need to check the alignment of all the bushings to individual componets & that can help point you to bent parts.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad did the same thing last winter in his G8. He took it to the dealer and it needed upper and lower control arms for the passenger front/rear wheel, two new wheels, and a new wheel bearing for the front wheel. Alot of damage occurs when a 4,000lb vehicle comes to a sudden stop against a curb. Best of luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would be pretty upset if my wife didnt tell me, its no biggie if she says thats what happend but dont try and hide it

Quick Reply: Wife wiped out the V into a curb...pics of damage