Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

99-2002 rear disc brakes on older 8.5 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-2002 rear disc brakes on older 8.5 10 bolt?

Has anyone put their late model diskbrakes,brackets emergency cables,etc, stock brackets on a1971 to 1980 8.5" 10 bolt like out of an older camaro?Wondering if new bracket will fit older rearend?Also how about the rotors?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

Yes,I have.
1973 camaro stock 8.5" 10 bolt,removed the old backing plates and installed the "LS1"backing plates and brakes.Everything will bolt on,but it isn't just that simple.
4th gen fbodys have both calipers mounted in front of the axle with the shocks aft of the axle.On the other hand,our 2nd gens have staggered rear shocks,placing one before and one aft of the axle.This demands a decision of how bad you want the LS1 rear brakes,and how much willing to spend/modify.
Choice "A" is to modify and relocate both shocks aft of the axle,easiest being inboard of the frame rails with an aftermarket kit,or your own brackets.This will allow you to use the stock LS1 brakes in their stock location.
Choice"B" is to get 2(two) left side backing plate/brackets so you can mount the LS1 brakes staggered to avoid interference with the 2nd gen staggered shocks.
Since my car is being "purpose" built,I chose "A".This not only allows me to utilize the complete LS1 set up including internal park brake and cables,but gives more tire clearance.
For what it is worth,you can also mount c5 13" front brakes on our cars with little modifications.Check out www.nastyz28.com for info on this swap.There is a member of that board that made brackets that bolt to the stock spindle,to allow us to use c5 front brakes.What can be better than a classic 2nd gen body hiding a 4th gen fbody(c5 front brakes) LS1/t56 & rear brakes?A real wolf in sheeps clothing if you will.
Feel free to email for any info.I am more than happy to help out with any info I have learned or supply pics if you need them.Plus I'd like to hear about your ride.
Good luck,Joe
Old 03-23-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Driftwood, Also Loved That Website , I'll Try To Get Up With You Tommorow,its Way Too Late!!!!

Quick Reply: 99-2002 rear disc brakes on older 8.5 10 bolt?