Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brakes squeal when not under pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes squeal when not under pressure

Hi guys, I need some help with some brake squeal. I have just replaced my worn front brake pads with some autozone replacement one until I can by some better aftermarket ones, and I had my crappy GM rotors resurfaced for the time being after they warped on me. I went to try the new brakes out, and I get this sort of squealing sound coming from the front left tire. It sounds like one of the pads might be rubbing against the rotor, but I am not feeling any resistance at all from it in the car. I put the car up on jacks, and spun the front wheel by hand, and I can tell there seems to be a specific point each turn where the rotor squeals then stops. I pulled the tire off and checked to make sure everything was install right, and it all seems to be where it should be. Probably something stupid I missed, but what do you guys think it is. It is a pretty annoying sound, and get kind of embarrassing loud at 40-50 mph.

One more question. I didn't get a chance to put the new rear brake pads on, because I was really pressed for time, and couldn't find a ratchet the right size for the rear caliper. What size ratchet do I need to loosen them. Its a 2000 z28.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Did you apply the "anti-squeel" greese to the back of the pads? Its the tube of blue silicone.
What kind of pads did you get? Semi-metallic pads can be noisy.

--VIP1
Old 03-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% of the time, I apply "anti-squeal" to backing plates, but appx 50% of the time, I hear nasties after changing new pads, especially up front. Noise is more prevalent with new rotors/new pads, versus old rotors/new pads.
The noise occurs ONLY when no pressure applied to brake pedal. Then after 100 - 200 miles, the noise gradually goes away. I run Hawk HP+ for city driving, which provides more bite/dust w/more noise. Life is all about tradeoffs.

I ASSUME, this is due to stock floating calipers, which have the pads touching the rotors, even when brake pressure is not applied. New pads are wider, eliminating any extra wiggle room that used pads have. If the noise bothers you, go with a ceramic pad - autozone, kragens, pepboys all carrry them for about $50/fronts. They don't dust. HOWEVER, if you go canyon driving with the boys, look out, as they are going to fade big-time on your 3rd or 4th braking event!