Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI and BMR rear "Drag" sway bar ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI and BMR rear "Drag" sway bar ???

would anyone know what the Spohn, BMR or UMI "Drag" sway bar kits lbs per inch would be compared to the Hotchkis adjustable rear sway bar kit ??

The hotchkis Part # is 22104R
The 3 Adjustment Settings is: 225,240,255 lbs/in

Allows suspension tuning for optimum track or street performance.
Bolt-In installation requires no vehicle modifications

*I would Think the tech guys over at UMI or BMR could answer this*
Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The BMR drag sway bar is adjustable. It has 2 different mounting holes. One is 1013% stiffer than the OE sway bar. The other is 1632% stiffer than the OE sway bar.

The BMR bar is 1-3/8" diameter. It is hollow, so there is a weight savings even though it is stronger than most (maybe all??) of the other drag sway bars that are available.

The BMR drag sway bar is a total bolt-on.....no welding at all.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Launching!

how will it ride in the street, will i lose my ride?? my car is a street car
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

It will ride like a board.
The following users liked this post:
j88l98irocz (11-25-2021)
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Ttype
how will it ride in the street, will i lose my ride?? my car is a street car
To be absolutely clear, the rear anti-roll bar is a drag racing roll bar. It will not increase your cars handling and it will not make the car ride better. However, we were after several goals with our new design to improve it in a few key areas. We wanted to step away from our weld-in design and move to a bolt-in. At the same time, we wanted to become lighter, more streetable, and more effective at the track. That being said, our new bar is more streetable than it has ever been and you can loosen the endlinks up for the street and minimize its impact on the cars handling, but it will still be an oversized bar designed for drag racing. It will not ride like a board unless you adjust it to do so.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Launching!

I have the spohn Drag bar on the camaro now, and the ride absolutly Sucks, the same thing would happen if i was to install your BMR sway bar if not worse, so lets all be honest here and not just try to sell parts, NO "drag" Rear sway bar is streetable unless you think a F-body should ride like a cement truck.

I am trying to figure out what sway bar will keep my car straight during a blast , most of the time at a slow roll, and at the same time give me my ride back
Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Launching!

also is it nessary that a Rear sway bar has to be 1013% - 1632% stiffer than the stock one to keep the car straight during some hard pulls in the "Street" at a roll, Not dropping the clutch at 5k from a dig

and Sam has a bigger (25mm) 3 -way adjustable bar , more for drag racing , but not sure the LBS/IN on it
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the spohn Drag bar on the camaro now, and the ride absolutly Sucks, the same thing would happen if i was to install your BMR sway bar if not worse, so lets all be honest here and not just try to sell parts, NO "drag" Rear sway bar is streetable unless you think a F-body should ride like a cement truck.

I am trying to figure out what sway bar will keep my car straight during a blast , most of the time at a slow roll, and at the same time give me my ride back
So you ask about their bar, saying you look for their answer. After they answer your question, you give them **** for it? Not the brightest are you?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
So you ask about their bar, saying you look for their answer. After they answer your question, you give them **** for it? Not the brightest are you?
I was thinking the same thing
Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Your Right! conrad and quickTA

Im so stupid

I buy a Spohn drag bar and they say its streetable, the car rids like the biggest POS

I buy the UMI tranny/TQ arm relocation brace and a spohn adjustable TQ arm and the **** is banging under the car, I would have left the suspension alone besides a set of konis,

I blue printed a 346 LS6 and D1-sc that everyone said it would make only 650 rwhp because of small intercoolers and single 3" exhaust and small FLP2.5" Y pipe. End result 740 WRHP and 670 RWTQ

sick of people just trying to sell you parts to make $$ and then your stuck with crap that is not right for your car.

Tell me im wrong, you have to know more than they do and be 2 steps ahead

yes alot of times i answer my own ?'s in this case i asked about rear "drag" sway bars mean while i already have one on the camaro, reason for this is because i asked a few weeks ago Y is my TQ arm banging under the car and i got no responce , thats because i already own the Junk,, yesterday i post asking about rear Drag sway bars and i get a resonce,,,, i wonder Y , no one new i already owned one, And sales men are dieing to sell you one, I think my tatic worked
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy a Spohn drag bar and they say its streetable, the car rids like the biggest POS
Streetable is very subjective. What rides like a POS to you, another may think is no big deal.

And they didn't say your Spohn drag bar is streetable. You didn't even ask about the Spohn. You asked about the BMR and UMI. Hence why BMR gave you their take on the BMR bar. Seriously, lay off the pipe...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude....

I blue printed a 346 LS6 and D1-sc that everyone said it would make only 650 rwhp because of small intercoolers and single 3" exhaust and small FLP2.5" Y pipe. End result 740 WRHP and 670 RWTQ

I guess companies should only make parts you need and the rest of us should just drive stock?

Give the vendors a break its not their fault you bought a part that made your car ride like ****... I mean you bought a drag sway bar when you like to roll race, see what I did there

Let me make it even more clear you say they just sold you a part to make money. Since you know so damn much you should have known that was not the correct part for your combination in the first place, much less fork over your credit card number to go through the purchasing process. You of all people know your driving style and what you want more than anyone else. Sounds to me like your just pissed you bought something in a frantic moment of the itchy fingers or what I like to call the "add to basket" syndrome.

Noone held a gun to your head and said BUY THIS MUTHAF---N SWAY BAR NOWWWWW

so again....

Last edited by My6speedZ; 03-01-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ramey is on vacation this week, but when we returns he can post our #'s if needed.

However like BMR mentioned these "drag" style sway bars are designed for straight line. Even with the softer settings they are very stiff on the street and will cause the car to oversteer. Are they streetable? Yes we feel they are, but fast turns need to be taken with more caution. The Hotchkis bar is more handling oriented.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Your Right! conrad and quickTA

Im so stupid

yes alot of times i answer my own ?'s in this case i asked about rear "drag" sway bars mean while i already have one on the camaro, reason for this is because i asked a few weeks ago Y is my TQ arm banging under the car and i got no responce, thats because i already own the Junk,, yesterday i post asking about rear Drag sway bars and i get a resonce,,,, i wonder Y , no one new i already owned one, And sales men are dieing to sell you one, I think my tatic worked
Looks like you just made this thread to rant? Cool story, bro

If you want a drag sway bar that handles like it's on rails, install a Bugatti Veyron around it.

Last edited by themealonwheels; 03-01-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

also is it nessary that a Rear sway bar has to be 1013% - 1632% stiffer than the stock one to keep the car straight during some hard pulls in the "Street" at a roll, Not dropping the clutch at 5k from a dig

and Sam has a bigger (25mm) 3 -way adjustable bar , more for drag racing , but not sure the LBS/IN on it
I really don't know what you're looking for. You're buying a bar that was desgined to control a car with 800+ lb/ft of torque to launch out of the hole straight. If you're not building a drag car, you shouldn't be using this bar and expecting it to ride nice because that was not how it was designed.

The rates are that extreme because that's what it takes to effectively control roll under weight transfer. Stiffness ratings serve a different purpose when you're talking about handling, when all four wheels are on the ground and you're just looking to get the car to reduce body roll - also, street bars are designed to work WITH front bars while a drag anti-roll bar is designed for a solo act on a drag launch. It was not designed for the street, comfort, or handling. I think that's where you're confusing the purpose of the bar you currently own and are seeking information on.

When I describe the bars street friendliness I'm talking about the ability to drive it on the street everyday and tolerate it. Most drag bars are intolerable and do not offer any adjustability to get them to work on the street without a detrimental effect on handling and ride comfort. When you run our bar and loosen the adjustable turnbuckle endlinks you're essentially reducing the effectiveness of the rear sway bar to the point where you almost have none. Then, when you reach the track, you make the adjustments to your endlinks and voila! You have a bar that can get your car to come out of the hole straight and apply equal weight to both rear tires. When you leave the track you loosen them up for the drive home and you have a car that doesn't seem like the back-end won't cooperate with the front - the dump truck ride you're speaking of.

In the future, it's best not to attack or assume things. While it is my job to sell parts, which is how our doors have stayed open for over 13 years, it's also our mission to help our current/potential customers or forum members with their technical concerns. You asked the questions, we answered. You asked more, I answer again. If you have anymore questions and I'll be happy to answer them, even with your UMI torque arm and Spohn Anti-Roll bar. Why? Not because I'm trying to make a sale, but because you asked BMR directly.

To address the matter of this thread, it sounds like you really should be using a street rear sway bar over a drag sway bar if you're not planning on using the car at the track. If you would like any suggestions for your goals with the car and how you want it to perform, I am more than happy to steer you in the right direction.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice reply BMR
Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Launching!

No itchy fingers here, i research everything befor i buy, Yes i was told it would be "ok" on the street, what is a POS ride to me and might not be to someone else, well i dont know about that, it rides like a cement truck.

Hello Ryan, Ramey has e-mail me , he has been "Great" , good guy and has been helping me figure out waht bar will work best for me , I run your UMI LCA's , sub frams and K member, all nice parts, I have two issues the Drag bar and how the car rids like crap , (stock springs and Koni S/A's ) and also the spohn adjustable TQ arm is banging under the car, i have your tranny M-6 relocation brace for the TQ arm,

Anyone who wants to meet up with me and help me figur this out is welcome
Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Launching!

NO Great Relpy BMR! Yes i need a street bar, not looking to launch the car at 6,000 rpm , My car is NOT a DD, But i do use it here and there, to meets, car shows and to do a little "Street" draging , most if not all racing i get into on the street is at a slow roll, the drag bar works fine with all that , its the ride, over any cracks or bumps in the road the whole back end rocks , its like i have NO suspension anymore, like the shocks and springs arent absorbing the dips , cracks etc, and it feels like the front end is fighting the rear end. If i was to go to fast comming off or on a exit ramp it feels like i would lose control of the camaro, the back end dont lean at all its a stiff board. Not sure if im explaining it right, im not a suspension guy this is the first car to be honest out of 10 that im changing stock suspension parts for aftermarket parts.
The stock ride was nice, a little soft and loose but not harsh like i have now,

so now that you know what issues i have , what kind of bar and LBS/IN would be streetable and give me my ride back, and also keep the car steady for some street blasts at a slow roll

Last edited by LS2Ttype; 03-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

No itchy fingers here, i research everything befor i buy, Yes i was told it would be "ok" on the street, what is a POS ride to me and might not be to someone else, well i dont know about that, it rides like a cement truck.

Hello Ryan, Ramey has e-mail me , he has been "Great" , good guy and has been helping me figure out waht bar will work best for me , I run your UMI LCA's , sub frams and K member, all nice parts, I have two issues the Drag bar and how the car rids like crap , (stock springs and Koni S/A's ) and also the spohn adjustable TQ arm is banging under the car, i have your tranny M-6 relocation brace for the TQ arm,

Anyone who wants to meet up with me and help me figur this out is welcome
The relocated TQ arm is basically right under your seat so your going to hear/feel some things; sometimes the piece that sticks up that the TQ arm actually connects to will make contact with the tunnel. Might want to check and make sure everything is tightened down as well. From what I understand thought it kind of just a by product of moving the TQ arm.

Sell the drag bar and get some Strano sways or Hotchikis either will serve you well.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Really!, if thats the case ill put the stock one back on , its more than hearing/feeling some things, its banging all over and NO nothing is lose, we went over it 10 times, its when i come on or off the clutch , not sure if its the front to back motion or up and down motion, but it sounds like crap, Really no joke, we alread see when it was hitting in the rear tunnel and we reshaped the area with a 4' pry bar, it seemed to stop hitting back there, it more under the shifter area, realy sucks, again Y make these parts if there going to hit and bag under the car, Who wants to hear that, Not me.

Quick Reply: UMI and BMR rear "Drag" sway bar ???