Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'99 Z28 - Front Hub Bearing Assembly Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 - Front Hub Bearing Assembly Replacement

'99 Camaro Z28 M6 w/235K miles

I'm replacing front brake pads and rotors today. While changing the driver's side set, I notice that I can hear a slight clicking sound when I rotate the center hub assembly. I assume that this means the internal hub bearings are beginning to go bad?

Do I need to replace the hubs on both sides? I don't hear the same sound from the passenger side hub. Just curious if they should be replaced in pairs?

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I usually only replace brake calipers & wheel cylinders in pairs being they use the same fluid source. Id say only replace the side thats making noise
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sy99T/A; 03-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sy99T/A
I usually only replace brake calipers & wheel cylinders in pairs being they use the same fluid source. Id say only replace the side thats making noise
[IMG][/IMG]
He's doing a brake job, but he's asking about wheel bearings not brakes. With the wheel off and disk still in place, tighten down the lugnuts (careful not to muck up the cone part on the ends, I'd say put them on upside down, but that's hard to do with the threads for the plastic lugnut caps in the way) and see if you still hear the sound. It could just be play from the disk without the clamping force of the wheel on it. On the other hand, your car is high mileage and may need the front wheel bearings repacked.

I've never repacked wheel bearings on an f-body, but I have done it on several other cars and that usually is sufficient to fix the problem. Pull the bearings out and clean them off in a parts bath (or have a shop do it) to get all the old grease out. You could probably do it in a coffee can with some parts solvent and an old toothbrush...just leave them to soak for a while first. Once you clean out the old grease, wipe them dry with a clean shop rag and let the solvent evaporate (you can spray them with some brake cleaner to help, but be sure to let that completely dry before proceeding). Check for galling, pitting, or heat-discoloration in the metal of the roller bearings themselves. If you don't see any of this then repack the bearings with fresh grease. This is just a matter of pressing fresh grease into the bearing cage with your fingers. It's messy, but very low tech and easy to do. Wipe out the old grease from the inside of the bearing races in the hubs as thoroughly as you can with rags/paper towels before replacing the freshly packed bearings. That's all there is to it!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

At 235k I wouldnt be surprised. You should also check the ball joints and tie rods while your in there.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eb110americana
He's doing a brake job, but he's asking about wheel bearings not brakes. With the wheel off and disk still in place, tighten down the lugnuts (careful not to muck up the cone part on the ends, I'd say put them on upside down, but that's hard to do with the threads for the plastic lugnut caps in the way) and see if you still hear the sound. It could just be play from the disk without the clamping force of the wheel on it. On the other hand, your car is high mileage and may need the front wheel bearings repacked.

I've never repacked wheel bearings on an f-body, but I have done it on several other cars and that usually is sufficient to fix the problem. Pull the bearings out and clean them off in a parts bath (or have a shop do it) to get all the old grease out. You could probably do it in a coffee can with some parts solvent and an old toothbrush...just leave them to soak for a while first. Once you clean out the old grease, wipe them dry with a clean shop rag and let the solvent evaporate (you can spray them with some brake cleaner to help, but be sure to let that completely dry before proceeding). Check for galling, pitting, or heat-discoloration in the metal of the roller bearings themselves. If you don't see any of this then repack the bearings with fresh grease. This is just a matter of pressing fresh grease into the bearing cage with your fingers. It's messy, but very low tech and easy to do. Wipe out the old grease from the inside of the bearing races in the hubs as thoroughly as you can with rags/paper towels before replacing the freshly packed bearings. That's all there is to it!
He asked if he should replace the bearings in a pair, I said that I replace things in a pair when doing things like brakes nor did I quote his car had wheel cylinders, I then stated I would only do the side that is making the noise refering to the bearing. The wheel bearings on that 99 are not packable, it is a bolt in hub assembly that is sealed

Last edited by Sy99T/A; 03-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys. I'm pulling together the parts to rebuild the front suspension, so I'll buy the driver's side hub also. Sy99T/A is correct .... it's a bolt in hub assembly.

I had the brake rotors and brake assembly stripped off of the hub when I spun it and heard the slight clicking sound. I'll check the passenger side again too when I get closer to completing the front suspension replacement.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea, its shot. I would be VERY surprised if you didn't have the same issue on both sides. If you don't, you will soon. The bearings don't last that long.

+1 for changing both sides.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
At 235k I wouldnt be surprised. You should also check the ball joints and tie rods while your in there.
Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea, its shot. I would be VERY surprised if you didn't have the same issue on both sides. If you don't, you will soon. The bearings don't last that long.

+1 for changing both sides.
+1 For both of these. The whole front end could use a rebuild anywhere over 200k.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Launching!

"+1 For both of these. The whole front end could use a rebuild anywhere over 200k."

Yeah ... I've got the bushings for the front end, new tie rod ends, sway bar links ... I'll probably replace both hubs since the one is bad. I'm just trying to decide if I want to lower it while I've got it all apart. This is my daily driver, and I'm a little on the fence as to how much money I want to put into it.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Launching!

I always think about it like "they have the same amount of miles on them, so the other can't be far behind." I'd do both.

Quick Reply: '99 Z28 - Front Hub Bearing Assembly Replacement