Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strut tower brace

What is the gain from a strut tower brace? and if im to buy one is there a big difference between chrome moly and not chrome moly?

Someone help me out thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro
What is the gain from a strut tower brace? and if im to buy one is there a big difference between chrome moly and not chrome moly?

Someone help me out thanks
There u go http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/strut-bars.html
http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/specs.html
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

oh boy....time for the monthly........strut tower brace thread.........

<----you can see i am biased
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Those would be good/valid links if our 4th gens had struts, but they have coil overs (upper/lower control arm suspension, struts don't have an upper control arm.) 3rd gens and 5th gens have struts.

OP do a search, STB's are cosmetic for our cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

unfortunately, hes right.... I got one anyway though cause they just look cool...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It helps me but i pick up the front and you need it. So if you dont pick the front wheels up i vote no.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Those would be good/valid links if our 4th gens had struts, but they have coil overs (upper/lower control arm suspension, struts don't have an upper control arm.) 3rd gens and 5th gens have struts.

OP do a search, STB's are cosmetic for our cars.
so then wat does it do? pretty sure it evens out the suspension and keeps everything from flexing
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would agree that it would help with the rigidity of the car in the turns and upon landing after pulling the tires...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastdriver1992
so then wat does it do? pretty sure it evens out the suspension and keeps everything from flexing
Do a search, this topic has been covered thousands of times.
If the shock towers flexed these could help some (but if the shock towers flexed there would be severe alignment problems among other things - again do a search this has been covered.)
I bought an STB years ago, noticed no difference at all. Took it off for the engine swap, forgot about it and again noticed no difference. Put it back on recently, still don't notice it, and I auto-x my car...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Do a search, this topic has been covered thousands of times.
If the shock towers flexed these could help some (but if the shock towers flexed there would be severe alignment problems among other things - again do a search this has been covered.)
I bought an STB years ago, noticed no difference at all. Took it off for the engine swap, forgot about it and again noticed no difference. Put it back on recently, still don't notice it, and I auto-x my car...
Its alot different when you pull the wheels. It puts alot of stress on everything.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Whenever this was asked, once in a while there's a few HPDE drivers who mentioned this was tested out before. The results were that there was little to no movement between the shock towers.

Having your front end in the air and then slamming on the ground could be different..

Basically.. don't expect any handling improvements from adding a shock tower brace. That being said it doesn't hurt except adds a little weight and gets in the way a little.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Smile

BMR Sales claimed a quarter inch movement of the shock towers when they were developing suspension stuff for the 4th gen Camaro. This was with stiffer than stock springs and sticky tires. More movement was documented with race springs and tires.
I think it is safe to say a good portion of cars here have uprated suspension at this point. Was BMRs research flawed somehow? Anyone else tested this rather than just postulating? Just asking...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

That's a good question. One test doesn't take into account for different tollerances on different cars. So maybe the test I referred to had no movement while BMR's car did.

Still how much would a quarter inch movement mess things up? It could effect camber but will have no effect on the function of springs, shocks, swaybars which have the biggest effect on handling.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Well i agree with anti cop that its most cosmetic but its one of those things that if you like the way it looks it could be worth it... I got one for 60 shipped so its not a lot and i think itll make my engine compartment look better whether or not it does anything

I appriciate all the feedback though thanks guys!!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my observation:

My G2 stb will not simply fall into place. With one side on the studs, the other side is off approx .25". I can put a floor jack under the k-member, lift the car just a few inches, and the towers spread just enough to allow the stb to slide right on the studs. I'll then let the car down before torquing the nuts.

That shows me that theres at least a quarter inch of flex in the shock towers.

I cant say whether I can 'feel' a difference while driving... I think its more my mind wanting to believe I didnt waste money. However I will say that with the brace on and properly bolted down, front-end squeaks are reduced to almost nothing
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

My opinion only. I bought one and had it on for awhile. Then took it off to do something.Drove around a month or so. Put it back on and could definitely tell a difference. Its not major,but the car does feel more responsive. I do have it lowered on stranos and Konis without SFC's(yet) Just feels stiffer. Gott a love a stiffy I thinks it a good mod for the money.

Last edited by 3 pedal SS; 03-10-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by VinR1
my observation:

My G2 stb will not simply fall into place. With one side on the studs, the other side is off approx .25". I can put a floor jack under the k-member, lift the car just a few inches, and the towers spread just enough to allow the stb to slide right on the studs. I'll then let the car down before torquing the nuts.

I cant say whether I can 'feel' a difference while driving... I think its more my mind wanting to believe I didnt waste money. However I will say that with the brace on and properly bolted down, front-end squeaks are reduced to almost nothing
I agree, and I have a G2 (LG Motorsports) brace also. However, the instructions that came with my part, said to remove the nuts and bolts from the car's RH upper shock mount, and push the a-arm/shock assembly down, which takes the studs down also, allowing the brace to slip in place.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
my observation:

You do realize the studs are angled inwards, right? That's why BMR and all the other lemming STBs have slotted holes.

And if you had a front end alignment without the STB, jacked the font, the upper mounts moved 1/4" how in the world do you not chew through tires if your alignment varies that much?

So for arguement's sake, let's say the front is that "floppy". How does bracing one floppy side to a second floppy side brace anything?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchntx
You do realize the studs are angled inwards, right? That's why BMR and all the other lemming STBs have slotted holes.

And if you had a front end alignment without the STB, jacked the font, the upper mounts moved 1/4" how in the world do you not chew through tires if your alignment varies that much?

So for arguement's sake, let's say the front is that "floppy". How does bracing one floppy side to a second floppy side brace anything?
A) That's why the "lemming" braces don't work as well, since the slots will allow the studs to "slide", even if the amount is minute;

B) You wouldn't chew up tires, because your alignment is done with the suspension "loaded", therefore any compressive forces from the car's weight that's applied through the suspension have been applied to the structure, therefore pushing the "towers" inward;

C) By bracing one "floppy" side to another, the STB takes out the "flop", since one side works against the other. This is especially true if the STB is a 3 point, as it forms a triangle with the cowl/firewall.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
A) That's why the "lemming" braces don't work as well, since the slots will allow the studs to "slide", even if the amount is minute;

B) You wouldn't chew up tires, because your alignment is done with the suspension "loaded", therefore any compressive forces from the car's weight that's applied through the suspension have been applied to the structure, therefore pushing the "towers" inward;

C) By bracing one "floppy" side to another, the STB takes out the "flop", since one side works against the other. This is especially true if the STB is a 3 point, as it forms a triangle with the cowl/firewall.
A) So it's just the clampling force of the 2 nuts torqued to what 50 ft/lbs that "stabilizes" the front end?

B) I guess if you only drive in a straight line all the time, the alignment would stay true. Good point. But anything that would apply force to the upper mount, according to those who are STB-ites, means the upper mounts will deflect. And the upper mount is a suspension pick-up point and movement will affect alignment. Of course, if it doesn't move ...

C) Triangulated, yes because the firewall doesn't move. But you can't brace anything when both attachment points move. Attaching them just means they move in parallel. To brace, one point needs to be stationary. You can't magically have one floppy side and one solid side and then swap sides.

Last edited by mitchntx; 03-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Strut tower brace