Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me with my shock decisions, pic

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my shock decisions, pic

I recently got new 18x9.5 wheels for my 99 'zam with 80k, and I have a little 4x4 effect going on (i think). To further complicate things, my rear passenger shock sounds like a ghost pirate ship. I frequent pot hole/rough roads.

So i'm looking at shock setups to buy and I cant make up my mind. I have about 300-400 dollars allocated in my stagnant car-fund. Here are the options, maybe c=someone can help me.

1. Buy bilsteins for all fours, stock springs, call it a day. More of a preventive maintenance option i guess?

2. Buy two of the koni sport rears for 100 a piece, in preparation for possibly lowering later on. Fixes the rear noise, but chances are I wont have money for koni fronts because they are ridiculously expensive.

3. Find some other cheaper shocks that have a lower spring perch like the koni fronts, and use the heater hose mod to lower the car 3/4". People hate anything other than bilstein/koni so i might get yelled at, but I dont take it on the track so anything better than decarbons...

Does anyone have suggestions or solutions? Something to kill two birds with one stone on my budget?

Here is a pic, lemme know what you think. The car is dirty in the pic because it was raining for a week straight before I took it.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bilsteins and cut your stock springs - theres a thread full of pics in this same section
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Im afraid to cut them, a lot of people say it handles like **** when you do. Enough to not consider it from my perspective... I'm open to it though. Since i'm on a budget I cant be picky i guess.

Another thing I was thinking about was that if I got the rears only I wouldn't have to hassle with getting a panhead bar and an alignment. Damn this is adding up quick.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

If your thinking of ever possibly going with lowering springs in the future then I definitely recommend konis.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Do you guys think there is way too much wheel gap? Sometimes I look at it and think it's ok in person but this picture looks like a 4x4. If the concensus is that it's not that bad i might just get bilstiens or rock the rear konis.

Honestly with the koni sale, the rears off car adjust are pretty cheap...
Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

this is completely off topic but really like the wheels. what brand are they?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Teching In

OEWheels c6 z06 replicas, brushed face/black interior. I like the deep dish chromes a little better but these were cheaper and black on red is sweet.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

I think your car sits fine, it's nice to have some suspension travel when you drive on the street.
I put bilsteins on my car and the difference from the stock shocks was unbelievable. The car drove like an old truck before, and fantastic afterward!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks impaler, i think you are right. Since i drive on terrible roads the little extra clearance is a good thing.

I went ahead and ordered the bilstein HD set from ws6store. They were the cheapest option and had free shipping.

I woke up and realized that 700+ dollars to lower the car 1" for daily driving is retarded. I could spend that money on subframe connectors or get headers installed...
Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by anemonarium
Thanks impaler, i think you are right. Since i drive on terrible roads the little extra clearance is a good thing.

I went ahead and ordered the bilstein HD set from ws6store. They were the cheapest option and had free shipping.

I woke up and realized that 700+ dollars to lower the car 1" for daily driving is retarded. I could spend that money on subframe connectors or get headers installed...
that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to. The ws6store has a great deal on those shocks! I got mine abut a month ago.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by anemonarium

Depends on what you are going for, but honestly SFC's or headers wont make anywhere NEAR a difference that good shocks (none the less good shock/spring combo) will make.
I have LT headers and 3 point SFCs, neither made even a small fraction of a difference that Konis made on my car.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Teching In

I meant that bilsteins with stock springs + headers or SFCs > the extra costs of lowering properly with konis and supporting mods. Or to better word it, spend the DIFFERENCE of bilsteins and koni/panhardbar on vroom mods.

That's the way I see it from my particular perspective. Just trying to get the most out of my small budget is all!