Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will the stock panhard bar have any downfalls in drag racing?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Will the stock panhard bar have any downfalls in drag racing?

Heres why I'm asking. March 31st is the first race. I want to take both my cars to the track and let a friend drive the other one. I just lowered the camaro and I don't have my adj panhard bar yet, its ordered just gonna be a little while. The trans am has an adj panhard bar on it all ready and is stock height. Since the Trans Am makes alot more power and will have the ET streets will having a stock panhard bar make any difference? More chassis flex? The guy that had my camaro supposidly bent several sparying a 150 shot but I've never read anything about it on here. I just don't want it to happen to my T/A. Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The panhard bar keeps the rearend from moving side to side. I don't see how there would be any stress on it from drag racing.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the impaler
The panhard bar keeps the rearend from moving side to side. I don't see how there would be any stress on it from drag racing.
If the car launches hard enough there will for sure be side to side stress on the rear. If it's near stock power level I wouldn't really be too worried. Don't be surprised when it starts to wheel hop though.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The car makes 452rwhp. I've got a chromoly one on it now and a relocation kit for if I ever wanted to go true dual over the axle. Hopefully the one I have ordered will be in by then. Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just like the lower control arms, the factory panhard bar has a lot of slop in it because of its design and bushings. But, unlike the lower control arms, this slop isn't a direct factor in forward traction. The rearend can move from side to side a little bit without generating a real problem, but replacing it with a tubular piece with polyurethane will keep it located where it's supposed to be and keep the body in place.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the stock panhard bar have any downfalls in drag racing?