Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Torque arm bushing

Im going to be pulling my engine and transmission out soon and I was just wondering if it would be wise for me to replace the torque arm bushing while everything is out. If so what kind of bushing does everyone use and how do I install it.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone???
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My recommendation would be a polyurethane part, and yes, now would be a good time to do it.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I recommend getting a relocation crossmember to move the t/a off the trans tailshaft, and a poly bushing. UMI and BMR both make them, used BMR on mine. It's good piece of mind knowing my t/a isn't pulling up on the back of my trans every time I dump the clutch or shift hard.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NY02ws6
Personally I recommend getting a relocation crossmember to move the t/a off the trans tailshaft, and a poly bushing. UMI and BMR both make them, used BMR on mine. It's good piece of mind knowing my t/a isn't pulling up on the back of my trans every time I dump the clutch or shift hard.
Thats true but would it effect me as much as you becuase i have a a4?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Thats true but would it effect me as much as you becuase i have a a4?
Those "relocated" torque arm mounts attach to the "formed sheet metal" tunnel braces that are spot welded to the floor pan. This is just my opinion, but unless you're also installing a set of subframe connectors that include these braces as a support point, I don't think those flimsy braces are strong enough to support the loads from the torque arm over any length of time.

And with an automatic transmission, the torque arm doesn't see the shock loads that a stick car sees.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Those "relocated" torque arm mounts attach to the "formed sheet metal" tunnel braces that are spot welded to the floor pan. This is just my opinion, but unless you're also installing a set of subframe connectors that include these braces as a support point, I don't think those flimsy braces are strong enough to support the loads from the torque arm over any length of time.

And with an automatic transmission, the torque arm doesn't see the shock loads that a stick car sees.
While I do agree that it is not as necessary on an a4, the bracket I'm talking about replaces the trans cross-member, not the tunnel brace. Are you saying the factory trans cross-member mounting points are "flimsy"? And it is made out of DOM tubing or box tubing depending on mfr not "formed sheet metal"...and how exactly would a fabricated cross-member be weaker than the aluminum tranny tail-shaft? Also, it is lighter than the stock piece and adjustable for t/a instant center. Oh and the tunnel brace is bolted to the floor pan BTW.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Actually our BMR torque arm relocation crossmembers replace the factory transmission crossmember and bolts up using the same mounting positions. We agree with you and don't like to mount anything to the tunnel brace mounting points of the car and this why we don't build anything using those particular mounting holes.

Although the automatic transmissions don't shock the suspension or drivetrain as much as a stick car we have still seen guys with the autos break tailshaft housings. Anytime you can get the torque arm off the tailshaft housing it is a good idea.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NY02ws6
While I do agree that it is not as necessary on an a4, the bracket I'm talking about replaces the trans cross-member, not the tunnel brace. Are you saying the factory trans cross-member mounting points are "flimsy"? And it is made out of DOM tubing or box tubing depending on mfr not "formed sheet metal"...and how exactly would a fabricated cross-member be weaker than the aluminum tranny tail-shaft? Also, it is lighter than the stock piece and adjustable for t/a instant center. Oh and the tunnel brace is bolted to the floor pan BTW.

PLEASE, PLEASE forgive me!!! My feeble old mind can only process so much information, and I think the last time I saw any of those related items, it was a driveshaft loop, which in most cases DOES bolt to the "flimsy, formed sheet metal braces" that are part of the car. The image of that d/s loop must have remained in my head........

Quick Reply: Torque arm bushing