Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

*New* QA1 Rear Coil-Over Conversion Kits 79-04 Mustangs, 82-02 F-Body & 64-72 A-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *New* QA1 Rear Coil-Over Conversion Kits 79-04 Mustangs, 82-02 F-Body & 64-72 A-Body

I have been looking at both Spohn's and AutoFab's version of their rear bolt-in coilover kit for the 4th gen fbody. The Spohn's version requires a "plate" to be welded into the spring pocket which I heard was a bear to do. I have also read the single-bolt mount is a weak link in these systems. Just when I about decided just to go with a DA shock and spring installed in the stock location, I read that QA1 was releasing their own bolt-in coilover kit. My attraction to such a kit is the adjustable ride height ... street height with the ZR1's and race height with the RT-S's.

http://www.qa1.net/news/2012/01/19/n...nversion-kits/

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...sion-kits.html

Has anyone seen this kit yet? Are there any details on the lower mounts? I hate to be the first with this kit, but are any of the sponsers going to be able to get this kit?

From the photos, it looks like it might be a nice kit, but I would rather not base my purchase decision on that alone.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Spohn said they are unable to get this.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

it bolts to the axle in the stock shock location and there is a plate that you weld in the apron on the car... i personally dont like the design. once you do it theres no going back for the most part
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
it bolts to the axle in the stock shock location and there is a plate that you weld in the apron on the car... i personally dont like the design. once you do it theres no going back for the most part
Actually, no, you're describing the Spohn Kit which can be had with QA1's or Strange's from Spohn and other vendors and the plate you speak of welds to the spring "pocket" ... !

This is completely a QA1 engineered kit including the top and bottom mounts that is completely bolt in ... no plates to weld-in. It was just released this month for the 79-04 Mustangs, 82-02 F-Body & 64-72 A-Body and is available through QA1. It appears to be a much better engineered kit. It also appears to have the much preferred two-bolt bottom mount which a similar mount is available through MWC.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can get anything from QA1, but the reality of the process is I can do a better shock and the same type of mount we make in house for less money.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh ok sorry i didnt read it all that does sound better but ^ that sounds pretty good too
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I can get anything from QA1, but the reality of the process is I can do a better shock and the same type of mount we make in house for less money.
.... pm'd you.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
oh ok sorry i didnt read it all that does sound better but ^ that sounds pretty good too
No problem ... and yes, ^ sounds good too.

I am bad about looking at all my options and shopping around before I purchase .... my wife calls it "Googling to death".
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Hmm, minor bump, I'm looking for a coilover conversion, are there any disadvantages to it?

Also, is it just me, or does it look like the shock mounting bracket will interfere with ride height adjustment?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Suzaku
Hmm, minor bump, I'm looking for a coilover conversion, are there any disadvantages to it?

Also, is it just me, or does it look like the shock mounting bracket will interfere with ride height adjustment?
I ended up going going with the Strange fbody kit ... see my thread ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ew-photos.html

The only disadvantage I have read is a broken "single-bolt" lower mount, but the Strange kit comes with a two-bolt mount and I don't foresee it breaking ... it is stout piece and I know MWC sells their own two-bolt mount too. I got the Strange kit $100 cheaper than the new QA1 kit.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

how did you deal with the weld in upper plate?

tony
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
how did you deal with the weld in upper plate?

tony
This set-up does not require the weld-in plate per Strange Engineering. Both Strange, MWC and Autofab Race Cars feel the upper mount is plenty strong. Look at all their kits. Even the new QA1 kit does not require the weld-in mount. They have sold and run plenty of these setups. As I said above, the two-bolt bottom mount is a requirement though.

Quick Reply: *New* QA1 Rear Coil-Over Conversion Kits 79-04 Mustangs, 82-02 F-Body & 64-72 A-Body