Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrading to some very large front brakes, how will skinnies do with them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgrading to some very large front brakes, how will skinnies do with them?

So I am upgrading to some very large Baer 6P six piston front calipers on my Z in my sig. I also plan on running skinnies up front (assuming they will clear the brakes).

My question is, with that kind of stopping power for the dragstrip, how do you think they (the skinnies) will do slowing me from 140 MPH in 1/4 mile with those large brakes? I know I am not the only guy running a fast car with strong front brakes and skinnies. I just want to make sure the skinnies will be able to grip enough to slow me and not be over powered.

Can anyone shed some light on this question?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front runners are not meant to do much for stopping power/handling. A better pad/rotor and fresh fluid may be better. Plus it will take a bigger wheel to clear the BBK. The amount of time on your brakes probably wont get the pads up to operating temperature to be most effective.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tillery
Front runners are not meant to do much for stopping power/handling. A better pad/rotor and fresh fluid may be better. Plus it will take a bigger wheel to clear the BBK. The amount of time on your brakes probably wont get the pads up to operating temperature to be most effective.
By front runners, do you mean the skinnies? I am not trying to debate whether or not to upgrade the brakes. That is already a done deal.

What I am asking is; with my brakes, will the skinnies be able to stop me in 1/4 mile from 140 MPH given the larger brake upgrade? Or will my brake setup be too powerfull for the skinnies given the criterea?

Really trying to find someone who has experience with this kind of thing.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How big of a brake kit is it? How big is your rotor, and what wheels do you have on it now? Depending on the setup, you may not even be able to find a skinny that will clear your brakes.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
How big of a brake kit is it? How big is your rotor, and what wheels do you have on it now? Depending on the setup, you may not even be able to find a skinny that will clear your brakes.
Its Bears 6P caliper system on a 13 inch rotor. Look guys, the kits fitting is not the issue I am wanting help with. I have already taken that path to its answer, and it is not a problem.

Can anyone just answer my question?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer; no.

First problem is wheel spoke to caliper clearance. Second is diameter. I suppose with spacers or some ridiculous offset to the outside it would be possible, but I wouldn't do that.

The tires should stop you fine. They will stop the same regardless of the brakes slowing them down.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM
12 Second Club

In short. No you wont see much improvement with skinnies. Only because of tire design and size. Also what are you considering a skinny tire?

Last edited by tillery; 03-28-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
Short answer; no.

First problem is wheel spoke to caliper clearance. Second is diameter. I suppose with spacers or some ridiculous offset to the outside it would be possible, but I wouldn't do that.

The tires should stop you fine. They will stop the same regardless of the brakes slowing them down.
Holy crap! I swear asking simple questions on this board are like pulling teeth sometimes. I don't know why it is so hard for you guys to believe me when I say everything clears and I have already got all that stuff figured out!!

The second half of your statement is what I was looking for. So, you are saying that even running a skinnie, with a fraction of the tire as what I run on the street, it will indeed be able to grip enough given the stopping performance of the 6P caliper?

Please, post here only if you really know and have experience with this. My current Bear track plus (large two piston caliper up front) when I get on it at higher speeds with my 285 wide tires sometimes it can almost outperform those tires. I just have no experience with skinnies, and now that I am stepping up to the 6P caliper setup, I just want to be sure the much narrower tires at the track will be able to keep up.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 AM
12 Second Club

You just answered your own question. If the 285 tire was being pushed to its limits on braking performance. With a larger braking system and a skinny front runner -3.5 inch wheel/tire - you are wanting to know if that would be better? Yes i have experience on a drag setup. Skinny tires are not meant for braking /handling. Mainly high speed low drag. I now have six piston bremos on my car. And no way I would expect a 295-35-18 to be the same as a bias ply in any skinny size. Or radial. Maybe a racer wiyh a new Z06 can answer what he experience with stock brakes and skinnies.

Last edited by tillery; 03-28-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume this si for the LT1, as it is the only car you have listed that might have a long shot at 140mph trap.

Are your brakes still LT1, if you have LS1 you have plenty of brake to exceed the grip of a skinny front runner. I still have an LS1 set up but it is maximized with pads, rotor and SS line selection. There is no way I can give it all the brake it has with those. I would think even an LT1 set up would be plenty with the right pads. R Compound pads make a huge different. For drag racing I would consider an Autocross pad as it does not need heat for good bite.

As to what all the other guys are trying to let you know, is there is little chance in hell of getting a 15" wheel over that cailper. They are way bigger than stock and consume a ton of space towards the out side of the car. I used the template to check clearance on my TTMs with that same brake set up and needed more than a 1/2 spacer for it to fit.

If you need a skinny for that brake set up, you could look at a CCW 17" like I have. It has lots of room.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tillery
You just answered your own question. If the 285 tire was being pushed to its limits on braking performance. With a larger braking system and a skinny front runner -3.5 inch wheel/tire - you are wanting to know if that would be better? Yes i have experience on a drag setup. Skinny tires are not meant for braking /handling. Mainly high speed low drag. I now have six piston bremos on my car. And no way I would expect a 295-35-18 to be the same as a bias ply in any skinny size. Or radial. Maybe a racer wiyh a new Z06 can answer what he experience with stock brakes and skinnies.
If you read my question (listed more than once) no where did I ask if the skinnie would stop "better" than with the wider tires. I mearly am asking if it would have the ability to stop and not be too much for the skinnie to handle.

When I mentioned that my current 285 can be almost exceeded now with my smaller brakes, that was worst case scenario (jabbing on them as hard as I can from 160+MPH). Not necissarily what I currently experience at the track. The combo I had currently is the Baer Track plus two piston setup on huge 18" wheels. They stop just fine at the track and I trap around 135.

I am adding more power, and will probably be around the 140 MPH mark, and will have upgraded brakes to the much larger 6 piston 6P setup, and skinnies (that do clear the wheels).

I am anticipating that if I brake gradually and not jump on them that they should be just fine for stopping, but I just didn't know how the skinnies would do.

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I assume this si for the LT1, as it is the only car you have listed that might have a long shot at 140mph trap.

Are your brakes still LT1, if you have LS1 you have plenty of brake to exceed the grip of a skinny front runner. I still have an LS1 set up but it is maximized with pads, rotor and SS line selection. There is no way I can give it all the brake it has with those. I would think even an LT1 set up would be plenty with the right pads. R Compound pads make a huge different. For drag racing I would consider an Autocross pad as it does not need heat for good bite.

As to what all the other guys are trying to let you know, is there is little chance in hell of getting a 15" wheel over that cailper. They are way bigger than stock and consume a ton of space towards the out side of the car. I used the template to check clearance on my TTMs with that same brake set up and needed more than a 1/2 spacer for it to fit.

If you need a skinny for that brake set up, you could look at a CCW 17" like I have. It has lots of room.
No, my brakes have been upgraded from the junk LT1 calipers to the Baer Track plus calipers on a 13" rotor (you can actually see them in the center of my signature pic below). This is leaps and bounds a more powerfull braking system than even the LS1 style calipers. Although I am now upgrading to the 6P setup, there is little extra room that needs to be had for wheels than what I currently have with the Track Plus calipers. The 6P setup covers more of the rotor, but doesn't necissarily stick out much more in any direction than the Track Plus.

I know the other guys are trying to warn me of fitting issues, but it is not a problem as the new 6P calipers will clear the wheels I have up front for the skinnies. I am using GTO spares, and highly reccomend them to others that are having similar fitting issues. The spokes bow out quite a bit, and there is a lot more room than 95% of the aftermarket skinnie wheel options on the market.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

call911, i feel so bad for you as i read this slow motion train wreck of a thread. i know exactly what you were asking in the first post and i am in the exact same boat, doing a c5z06 or ctsv brake conversion with skinnies up front and wondering how it will react.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

1) the skinnies will react like a 3.5 inch tire would it doesnt stop or handle worth a ****, no matter what brakes are them its all about how much brake you give it.

2) get a chute

3) dont run skinnies... if your worried about how they are going to stop your car from 140; however people stop from much faster than 140 everyday on skinnies....
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

This whole board is like this. It used to not be so bad, but now so many members on here insist on being... well less than helpful to say it politely. The only reason I post here anymore is that the quantity of people who are on here, and hope someone who is not a duesch bag, who knows the answer might post.

You will need to upgrade your skinnies to GTO spares, or spend some big cash on some custom fitting wheels to clear as those brakes are the same size as my current Baers.

I found out from a friend who works at LPE that the skinnie tires should manage okay.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm of the opinion you can never have too much brake caliper or rotor. A skinnie will only have so much friction available and I'd rather have an abundance of pad and rotor so I could modulate and use the skinnies to their potential, whatever that may be.

Another advantage to big brakes is more effective braking on back to back runs. Mini rotors and calipers can heat soak and become less effective, say on quick repeat test n tune days.

Ramey
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i answered your question dude and so did 2 other people with more words but people just try to gather more information so they can better answer your question. plus you alrdy knew the answer to the question before you asked it.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

I got my answer from my friend at LPE. Thanks from the sponser, and the other two on here who actually read my post, and tried answering my question instead of trying to talk senslessly on info I didn't need or already had.

I think this whole forum is a joke anymore when you have to put up with all of this just to get some simple help. This will probably be just about the last time I try to look for help here again. I guess others have a lot more patience than I do.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

brakes stop the wheel, wheel stops the tire, and tire stops the car.

you could put prototype Le Mans kit on your car, and you'll stop the same as with stock brakes. you'll need more tire to stop better.

look into just 2 piece rotors. they run cooler and are lighter. could save you some unsprung mass.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I'm of the opinion you can never have too much brake caliper or rotor. A skinnie will only have so much friction available and I'd rather have an abundance of pad and rotor so I could modulate and use the skinnies to their potential, whatever that may be.

Another advantage to big brakes is more effective braking on back to back runs. Mini rotors and calipers can heat soak and become less effective, say on quick repeat test n tune days.

Ramey
you can have too much caliper and rotor. you gotta match it up to what events your looking to do. no seine in carrying an extra 19 lbs per corner when the only stopping he's going to be doing is non competitive. a nice reasonable aluminum 4 pot caliper and a 2 piece rotor will work well beyond the skinny tire's ability to slow the vehicle. it will also shave a ton of mass off the front of the car.

if it was my car i would just do a stock sized 2 piece rotor and a moderate forged caliper. that would work well with your system.
the brake company i work for doesn't just try to get you to spen all your $$ we help you win.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reading your posts just **** me off. you act like you are the only person who has ever waited on his post to be answered...hell it has happened to me before so quit being an impatient ******* to everybody. i'm sure a whole lot of people hope this is the last time you "check in". like you are needed around here or something? get off your high horse.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to some very large front brakes, how will skinnies do with them?