Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best compromise for drag and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best compromise for drag and autocross

Just did my first auto cross. I didn't do too bad. The car is 2002 WS6 420 RWHP. M6
I have BMR subframes, adjustable lower control arms, adjustable torque arms. tokico adjustable shocks on rear and 110,000 mile original stocks on the front. Also orginal springs. Currently, when I launch the front lifts high. I've always drag raced and this has been perfect. Now that I'm autocrossing to, I want a combination that will allow me to autocross but not hurt me too bad in a drag race. The tires are 295/35/19 but going to 305/30/18 out back. I don't want to lower the car so much that the wheels scrub. I think I need for starters a panhard bar, and a strut tower brace. Give me the best suggestions. I tried to call strano, but their voicemails are backuped 2 weeks. I want to have something done within 2 weeks before the next meet.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah, tires are nitto 555. 1st time at the track placed 15 out of 25. in front of several porsches fastest car 1:24 I was 1:33. The car was extremely tail happy and dived on its nose in turns.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Some people may agree with me or not, but this is what I did to my TA and it was a good all around car. Didn't handle the best but did well and hooked up nicely. These are not in any particular order.

1. Get some real shocks. Bilsteins at the least or if you can afford them, get Koni's.
2. You already have the subframes, LCA and torque arm. Next you want a panhard bar to keep the axle centered.
3. It is always up for debate but get a strut tower brace. I noticed an immediate difference and so did my friends who did not have one vs mine having one when we switched cars.
4. Tires. I can tell you this is a huge difference. You can have the best suspension with so so tires and the car isn't going to perform up to par. On my current car with completely stock suspension (just got my Bilsteins in...Thanks Sam!), just going from BFG g-Force Sports (on the car when I bought it) to Nitto NT05 was a huge improvement.
5. I'm not saying sway bars for sure if you're going to want an all around performer, but if you were asking about flat out handling car, these are a must. This is totally up to you. Might want to find a set of poly bushings/endlinks for your stock setup first and see how you like it before upgrading your bars.

If you belong to a club with Fbodies, find out what others have that differ from your setup and see if they will let you drive their car and see if you like it and go from there. That and talking the Sam Strano about your concerns is probably your best bet.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

If you want to autox more, I'd save your money on mods right now and use it for an autox school. Try it out with the current setup first so you have an understanding of what a bad setup feels like compared to a good one of your preference.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, just bought a koni/strano set up. I'll take the autocross school too. This all saves money versus the 911 that I was looking at. I actually beat a couple of 911's first time out at the track. So, I'm thinking the 112K really isn't worth it.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

The best driver out there will beat everyone in the worst car when it comes to autox.

EDIT: Clarification, the best driver in the worst car will usually smoke the rest of the competition who may be driving the best cars.

Last edited by z28bryan; 03-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: best compromise for drag and autocross