Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

the simple things count the most...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the simple things count the most...

I just completed my build with strano springs, sway bars, koni, new brakes etc. It felt like a different car but at first I have to admit it didn't feel as fantastic as everyone claims it to be. So I went back and did the simple things that needed to be done but like many other people I was focused on the big stuff. Shocks springs etc.

After I changed the tie rod ends and ball joints and got an alignment. It became a new car again and now it feels as awesome as everyone has been describing. I definitely recommend strano/koni setup.

but the reason for the thread is for all these guys out here who want a budget build for better handling need to focus on the little things first and might be satisfied with a good alignment or new sway bar links rather than wasting money on cheap shocks and then posting up about how your handling still sucks.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STFU racing
I just completed my build with strano springs, sway bars, koni, new brakes etc. It felt like a different car but at first I have to admit it didn't feel as fantastic as everyone claims it to be. So I went back and did the simple things that needed to be done but like many other people I was focused on the big stuff. Shocks springs etc.

After I changed the tie rod ends and ball joints and got an alignment. It became a new car again and now it feels as awesome as everyone has been describing. I definitely recommend strano/koni setup.

but the reason for the thread is for all these guys out here who want a budget build for better handling need to focus on the little things first and might be satisfied with a good alignment or new sway bar links rather than wasting money on cheap shocks and then posting up about how your handling still sucks.
how much and what brand rod ends and ball joints did you go with? I think i gotta do mine. my front suspension feels really loose. also did you do the work yourself? if so was it hard and how long did it take?.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

I just did a stock replacement from ABC. Tie rods took all of 15 minutes for both sides. Ball joints took me awhile because I had never done them before but could probably do it all in less than 2hrs next time I do it. Its all pretty easy. I think it was right at $100

It made equal comparison to new shocks and springs.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently replaced all the ball joints, tie rods, and control arm bushings, endlink, and sway bar bushings on the front of my car and man it is a big difference. Also, did new aftermarket poly rear LCA's and rear sway bar bushings and endlinks. Then two new tires on the front. What an amazing difference. I am looking at doing new rotors and pads for the front too. Its funny because now I can tell how crappy my front shocks are. I am getting into suspension work now. Trying to make the car more a more all around performer instead of just throwing more go fast parts at it. I am hoping to do Billsteins when I get the second part of my Army bonus.

But yeah I agree with your "little things matter" idea. My bushings must've really been crap
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STFU racing

Thanks for this post, I went with BUDGET parts store shock hoping for a change over stock shocks with almost 100k miles. Its an improvement but I have to try all the lil things to see where it gets me, before I am ready for Koni shocks.

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I recently replaced all the ball joints, tie rods, and control arm bushings, endlink, and sway bar bushings on the front of my car and man it is a big difference. Also, did new aftermarket poly rear LCA's and rear sway bar bushings and endlinks. Then two new tires on the front. What an amazing difference. I am looking at doing new rotors and pads for the front too. Its funny because now I can tell how crappy my front shocks are. I am getting into suspension work now. Trying to make the car more a more all around performer instead of just throwing more go fast parts at it. I am hoping to do Billsteins when I get the second part of my Army bonus.

But yeah I agree with your "little things matter" idea. My bushings must've really been crap
I'm in same boat. Can you post part #s of stuff you got and where?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing my lower A-Arms + alignment on my RS was night and day difference in how the car handled even after adding Bilsteins and SS sways, etc. The bushings were really beat, as that car goes through salt, snow, you name it...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Thanks for this post, I went with BUDGET parts store shock hoping for a change over stock shocks with almost 100k miles. Its an improvement but I have to try all the lil things to see where it gets me, before I am ready for Koni shocks.

I'm in same boat. Can you post part #s of stuff you got and where?

I used Oreillys ball joints,tie rod, and their control arm bushings. (master pro brand) I got them to price match autozone for like half as much on the lower or upper ball joint(cant remember for sure). Then I used Moog blue sway bar bushings and Moog endlinks. On the rear I used Founders poly LCA's. Moog endlinks and Moog sway bar bushing(black). Also, KYB shocks for the rear(installed idk 10months ago?). Then Nittos for the front. Then I got the front end aligned.
When I drove on the way to the alignment shop the steering wheel was crooked, but it wasn't that bad to drive, but it was way better after the alignment.

If you've got the extra change in your pocket I would try to get everything from Moog. IDK who makes the master pro line, but it has the same part number as Moog. I also bought some Moog bushings off ebay. You can do it all pretty cheap. Especially, if you press your own stuff out of the control arm.

Quick Reply: the simple things count the most...