Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Energy suspension Poly Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Energy suspension Poly Tranny Mount

I've done lots of searches, and there are TONS of different opinions on these tranny mounts it seeme like. One guy says it'll vibrate then go away...someone else it doesnt' fit right and you'll need to use a washer to lower it a bit, someone else says do not use the plate that comes with it and to grind off two nubs...

I have already bought one and hope to install saturday, but now I'm leary. I know I want poly, and I know it might be louder and might vibrate, guess I'm looking for other opinions on this piece. I have part number 3.1108GC going on my M6 SS. I'm putting it on because under HEAVY torque my Y pipes bangs under my car, and soon i'm getting Heads and a cam, so it'll only be worse.

Should I put this one on saturday like planned, or wait and get the Prothane from Thunder, but delay my install? Saturday is kind of key because I have access to a lift that day.

Scott
Old 03-25-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, I just read another thread...the one I bought was the universal, did ES ever come out with one specific to our cars? looks like I might need to put the washer deal in there to lower it a bit...or, better yet, maybe a piece of rubber...that will lower it a bit, but absorb some vibrations.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on the ES one, but I have the Prothane and so far I really like it... a little more vibration, but not bad at all. Here's what it looks like installed:

Old 03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
9 Second Club

I have the Prothane mount as well and I love it, even though there is a little more vibration.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Launching!

I put the Energy Suspension mount on my car last weekend. Just leave the plate off and it'll work fine, thats what i did.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome, second person that said leave the plate off.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
awesome, second person that said leave the plate off.
Make it 3.

And that plate makes a GREAT spanner between brake pistons to squeeze them back into the caliper when doing brakes.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like I'll go with it, no plate, and grind off whatever nubs people are talking about.

get this though, i was planning on installing it tomorrow while I was using a friends lift for my SFC's, but it might be cancelled. If it does get cancelled, I'll probably go ahead and order the Prothane since most people think it is better and easier.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
If it does get cancelled
Scott, sent you an e-mail, we're on for the SFC's tomorrow and if you want to do the tranny mount also we can.

Al
Old 03-26-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed mine, plate and all with no issues. No "washers" either. If you eliminate the plate, you void the preload, and it will not function as designed . . . . .
Old 03-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I installed mine, plate and all with no issues. No "washers" either. If you eliminate the plate, you void the preload, and it will not function as designed . . . . .
I installed mine with the plate at first but it held the tranny up way too high. It was vibrating against the floorboard under normal acceleration so i took it off and it seems to work fine. Maybe it's just different for different applications.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm using the Prothane mount and - as some of the others above have noted - there is a bit more vibration, but it fits perfect...
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
you had to throw a monkey wrench into my plans didn't you...you're the first person who says to use the plate...guess I'll just match up the heights and make my own decision tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default installed with plate yesterday

Well, with Al's and Joe's help we put in the tranny mount yesterday. When we measured the overall height of the two, the new ES mount was very close to the stock height WITH the plate, so we went ahead and put it on. The only confusion was that the directions said NOT to use the flat washer supplied if the mount was fastened to the tranny using a certain type of bolt. We ignored this and used one anyway because it appeared the nut needed a washer to stay in place, and not fall within the bracket.

Results? Very very little vibrations, a **** load of noise though. On my drive home (about 40 minutes) I was already making plans of buying a prothane and a 1LE mount to try them all out. Later though, I drive the car on a 2 hour ride, and it wasn't bad at all.

The good part was that I could drive my car as hard as I wanted and there was no more banging under my seat, so it was definately a good trade off in my book. There is a new noise though, and I can't tell yet if it's just a tranny noise, or a slight tap of something on something...definately no more banging though!

Al/Joe,thanks a ton man for your tools, lift, help and advise.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and another interesting remark...like others, initially I thought my car felt slower (as wierd as that seems, many people have said that)...but at the same time, I hit rev limiter 4 times while driving yesterday, and I've never done that before once!
Old 03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my recommendations if your using a ploy mount:

1. Engery Suspension poly mount
2. grind the nubs off
3. leave the preload plate out
4. After 2 weeks of driving, the drivetrain/road vibration will go down and you can notice it at certain RPM's such as above 4,000 RPM's

My car was breaking transmsision mounts once a week, I had stock which broke first, then I tried the 1LE from GM, that broke 2 weeks later, then the 1LE from SLP, that broke in a week, then I have the ES ploy mount and no problems now.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call me nuts, but I can barely tell it's on there now...maybe I'm still geeked with energy because of the fact that my Y pipe doesn't bang anymore...
Old 03-29-2004, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Good for you guys. I put mine on without the plate and took it off when I got home. Sounded like it was riding on the bellhousing!!! I gave mine away. The 1le is a little better, but stock is the way for me.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Hey Scott, Just got from Canada and checked your thread, glad it worked out well for you.

Al

Quick Reply: Energy suspension Poly Tranny Mount