Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new front end alignment issues story

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new front end alignment issues story

hello, the car is 2001 camaro ss M6, 67,xxx miles. I NEED ADVICE. last summer i purchased all new tires and the car drove straight as an arrow then this past winter i personally installed all new bilstein shocks. after pulling the car out of storage the car pulls to right, knowing the car needs to be realigned after new shocks have been installed i went and got an alignment. after paying and picking up my car from the alignment shop the car doesn't drive any straighter. I've taken it back to them twice now and its not driving any straighter, they haven't given me a reason why. SO is there anything that i may not have done correctly while installing new shocks or is this entirely an alignment issue?? when i put the wheels back on i didnt use a torque wrench, but i went in a star pattern and gradually tightened them all? I'm going back on monday to talk with them and maybe get my money back. terrible customer service.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, There is no way that installing new shocks would mess up your alignment. Unless you unbolted your control arms and that moved your caster/camber, or you took your tie rod ends completly off. stupid questions, but you said it started doing this after you took the car out of storage, did you check all your tire pressures? if they are low from sitting in storage that could cause it to pull, or as you already said, make sure all your lug nuts are on there tight. I would ask them for the print-out of your alignmet(wihch any good should should give you without asking) to confirm the alignment.

With the steering wheel straight, and your front wheel straight, when you get outfront of the car are the both pointed straight? or is one a litte crooked? both left and right, and up and down
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

i did put air in the tires but one is leaking a little and was about 8 psi low. i filled it up and still pulled to the right. ill check tomorrow morning on how the wheels looks from standing in front of it. I'm also going to go back for the third time and ask for a print out of the alignment or my money back so i can go somewhere else.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Launching!

They did computerized alignment? Ask them for before and after print out of all alignment readings.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If this was at discount tire, I noticed they been skimping on the alignments.
I had to go back twice also for my camaro and a friend with a STI.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

get a printout if possible.
you may try to locate the problem by simply crossing the two front only and drive a short and see if ANY differance if any better or worce then it be tire problem ( short drive will not harm the tires)
if crossing the front does not make a differance try crossing the two rear for a short drive
awaiteing the print out, Johnny
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

alright, i went back yesterday and they pulled out the alignment printout sheet which they never showed me and everything is in the green. they wanted to rotate the tires but i didnt have my wheel lock on me so im going back today. what i thought was weird is that the print out sheet was printed at 8:35am, i got there at 8:10am and i didnt leave till 12:15. im going back for the 4th time this evening.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lefty2023
alright, i went back yesterday and they pulled out the alignment printout sheet which they never showed me and everything is in the green. they wanted to rotate the tires but i didnt have my wheel lock on me so im going back today. what i thought was weird is that the print out sheet was printed at 8:35am, i got there at 8:10am and i didnt leave till 12:15. im going back for the 4th time this evening.
Being in the green/in spec doesn't mean **** when dealing with a steering pull. If you have excessive cross camber, you can still experience a steering pull, even with it being "in spec/in the green".

You waited at a shop for 4 hours to get an alignment; even on your third attempt at getting done which should have been done the first time? It used to drive me absolutely insane when people with wheel locks did not have their key in the vehicle while performing service that may require taking the wheels off.

Last edited by Bjorn20; 04-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: new front end alignment issues story