Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Sponsored by
Weld Racing

koni coilovers

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 0
Default koni coilovers

im planning on getting the kooks true dual exhaust system for my 2002 le convertible.The problem is that when i was given an estimate it stated that they would be installing qa1 coilovers in the front. ive only heard bad things about Qa1's in terms of handling and taking sharp corners. Does Koni offer coilovers i really want it to handle well. thanks for your help..
35ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4

What are you getting a quote to have done? You can use global control collars to turn koni's standard SA or DA shock in to a coilover, or you can call Koni North America, or True Choice and inquire about a custom set of coilovers. That will give you height adjustability for whatever that is worth. You'll need a new alignment with every change in height you make.
lees02WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
On The Tree

im getting a qoute for kooks headers, kooks true dual exhaust system, and strano lowering springs with koni shocks. When he sent me the estimate it stated QA1 coilovers and i havent heard anything great about them on the forums.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
TECH Resident

Trader Rating: 8

QA1's are a drag race shock. That's why they are not good handlers.
metalmilitia606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ss View Post
im getting a qoute for kooks headers, kooks true dual exhaust system, and strano lowering springs with koni shocks. When he sent me the estimate it stated QA1 coilovers and i havent heard anything great about them on the forums.
If you're getting 4th Gen Koni's and Strano springs you'll be all set, no need for the QA1's.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
LS1TECH Sponsor

Trader Rating: 41

QA1's and Koni's aren't on the same planet, not at all. If you want to make Koni coil-over you can, but it is kind of a pain. I did my spring rates and heights based on the coil-over conversion I ran on Koni's... and realized most folks wanted what worked, not necessarily the pain, expense, and warranty issues of converting to coil-over.

We accept online orders. We do NOT accept Credit Cards online, on purpose. We do this for your protection. If your #'s are not online they cannot be hacked.
Sam Strano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
QA1's and Koni's aren't on the same planet, not at all. If you want to make Koni coil-over you can, but it is kind of a pain. I did my spring rates and heights based on the coil-over conversion I ran on Koni's... and realized most folks wanted what worked, not necessarily the pain, expense, and warranty issues of converting to coil-over.
the reason i believe he specified coilovers was for ground clearance since Im going with kooks true dual system.. wouldnt Koni sa's be fine though??
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ss View Post
the reason i believe he specified coilovers was for ground clearance since Im going with kooks true dual system.. wouldnt Koni sa's be fine though??
Depends on where you live. Ground clearance with long tubes and 3" duals is going to be an issue, more for some than others. If you live in NYC and have a lowered car you'll be banging and scrapping collectors more than say a person in Florida.

I live in PA, and have 2.5" duals. I have Strano springs on the front, and I kept stock manifolds because I didn't want anything dragging on the ground. For the most part, with careful driving, I can easily clear steep driveways, and speed bumps.

There are guys who run the kooks headers/duals plus koni/strano, and do ok. I think TransWS6Am is one of them.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via MSN to Ponch95 Send a message via Skype™ to Ponch95

I run with Sam's springs and Koni shocks and I don't think there much of a clearance issue but the 3' true duals might pose a problem.
Ponch95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6

You will be low but just be careful with what bumps you go over. I ran a set up like this for a long time, I scraped on some stuff but didnt hurt anything just be more aware and you will be fine.
CamaroSS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
LS1Tech Sponsor

Trader Rating: 1

I agree with Sam, for a handling application Koni's are sweet.

If for some reason you do end up with QA1's it's important to note that the "S"ingle adjustable is what you want as compression damping is half that of the "R" series while rebound damping is the same. When we sell a drag package with "R" series fronts there tends to be way too much compression damping for the street, or for handling. Where they do work well is when the front end drops from two feet up and the car doesn't bump stop. The "S" QA1's can be made to work for handling but once again, not to the sophistication of the Koni's.

ramey

UMI Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bad, coilover, coilovers, collar, control, dual, ground, install, koni, ls1, qa1, shocks, tech, things, trans