Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

koni coilovers

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default koni coilovers

im planning on getting the kooks true dual exhaust system for my 2002 le convertible.The problem is that when i was given an estimate it stated that they would be installing qa1 coilovers in the front. ive only heard bad things about Qa1's in terms of handling and taking sharp corners. Does Koni offer coilovers i really want it to handle well. thanks for your help..
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

What are you getting a quote to have done? You can use global control collars to turn koni's standard SA or DA shock in to a coilover, or you can call Koni North America, or True Choice and inquire about a custom set of coilovers. That will give you height adjustability for whatever that is worth. You'll need a new alignment with every change in height you make.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

im getting a qoute for kooks headers, kooks true dual exhaust system, and strano lowering springs with koni shocks. When he sent me the estimate it stated QA1 coilovers and i havent heard anything great about them on the forums.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

QA1's are a drag race shock. That's why they are not good handlers.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 35ss
im getting a qoute for kooks headers, kooks true dual exhaust system, and strano lowering springs with koni shocks. When he sent me the estimate it stated QA1 coilovers and i havent heard anything great about them on the forums.
If you're getting 4th Gen Koni's and Strano springs you'll be all set, no need for the QA1's.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

QA1's and Koni's aren't on the same planet, not at all. If you want to make Koni coil-over you can, but it is kind of a pain. I did my spring rates and heights based on the coil-over conversion I ran on Koni's... and realized most folks wanted what worked, not necessarily the pain, expense, and warranty issues of converting to coil-over.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
QA1's and Koni's aren't on the same planet, not at all. If you want to make Koni coil-over you can, but it is kind of a pain. I did my spring rates and heights based on the coil-over conversion I ran on Koni's... and realized most folks wanted what worked, not necessarily the pain, expense, and warranty issues of converting to coil-over.
the reason i believe he specified coilovers was for ground clearance since Im going with kooks true dual system.. wouldnt Koni sa's be fine though??
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 35ss
the reason i believe he specified coilovers was for ground clearance since Im going with kooks true dual system.. wouldnt Koni sa's be fine though??
Depends on where you live. Ground clearance with long tubes and 3" duals is going to be an issue, more for some than others. If you live in NYC and have a lowered car you'll be banging and scrapping collectors more than say a person in Florida.

I live in PA, and have 2.5" duals. I have Strano springs on the front, and I kept stock manifolds because I didn't want anything dragging on the ground. For the most part, with careful driving, I can easily clear steep driveways, and speed bumps.

There are guys who run the kooks headers/duals plus koni/strano, and do ok. I think TransWS6Am is one of them.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run with Sam's springs and Koni shocks and I don't think there much of a clearance issue but the 3' true duals might pose a problem.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be low but just be careful with what bumps you go over. I ran a set up like this for a long time, I scraped on some stuff but didnt hurt anything just be more aware and you will be fine.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Sam, for a handling application Koni's are sweet.

If for some reason you do end up with QA1's it's important to note that the "S"ingle adjustable is what you want as compression damping is half that of the "R" series while rebound damping is the same. When we sell a drag package with "R" series fronts there tends to be way too much compression damping for the street, or for handling. Where they do work well is when the front end drops from two feet up and the car doesn't bump stop. The "S" QA1's can be made to work for handling but once again, not to the sophistication of the Koni's.

ramey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: koni coilovers