Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'99 Camaro LCA Rear Bolt Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Camaro LCA Rear Bolt Removal Help

I'm replacing the front end bushings and am having problems getting the rear LCA bolts out .... on both sides. I've removed the nut and had assumed that I could just push the bolt up thru the bushing and body mounts, but the bolt seems to be frozen (rusted?) in place. I've used a small sledge hammer to try to pound the bolt upward, but it won't move. Before I go too crazy on it, I'm wondering if there is any trick to getting it out?

Thanks

Bill
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Does it turn or is it rusted on there that good?! if it doesn't turn try spraying a motha load of PB blaster or WD40 on it an then break it loose by turning it!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the wrench on it and see if it will turn out. Also, with jack stands holding the car up by the rear frame section, put your jack under the diff and raise/lower until it slightly until it becomes easier to get it out. Remember, you have to get that back in there too! Raising and lowering the diff slightly until the bolt holes are lined up better will ease installation as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Launching!

I've tried the PB Blaster and hammer method. The bolt runs top to bottom, so I can get the nut off without any problem, but can't get a wrench onto the top of the bolt due to the tight confinement of the space. The holes in the chassis that the bolt runs thru are slotted to allow for front end alignment, and the bolt doesn't slide back and forth .... it's got to be frozen in there somehow.

pewter2000 - it's the front end lower control arm rear bolt .... I haven't gotten to the back end yet. You have a good idea though .... maybe I can get my jack under the end of the bolt and let the body weight sit on that bolt. It's worth a try, I guess.

But the answer to the original question is ... Yes, the bolt just goes back up thru the chassis .... there isn't anything holding it in place once the nut is removed. Right?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry about that, I saw LCA and figured you meant rear... Yeah, try changing the geometry by changing the angle of the arms somewhat.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh boy I've seen this before. The bolt is siezed to the inner bushing sleeve. Its not gonna be fun, I had to drill/cut out the bolt, take the whole arm out with the center part of the bolt and sleeve still in the arm, and replace the bushing, nut, and bolt.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Yeah .... that seems to be the problem .... the bolt is now one with the bushing sleeve. That's frustrating as every other bolt came off without any glitches!!! I had this bad feeling that everything was going way too according to plan! Thanks.

Quick Reply: '99 Camaro LCA Rear Bolt Removal Help