Brand new rotors rubbing OR Something else? - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Suspension & Brakes
Search

Suspension & Brakes
Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brand new rotors rubbing OR Something else?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 6
Default Brand new rotors rubbing OR Something else?

So heres the situation:

I last installed Ws6store slotted/drilled rotors and new pads on my 01 Z28 in September 2008 before I went away to college (EIU). From that moment on I graduated this last May and put about 15k (highway) miles on the car.

The car was garaged from (Thanksgiving to March) in Chicago under a car cover for three winter seasons and did not move for (three-four weeks) at some points. (This is where people said the rust developed from the garage being damp) I noticed this constant rubbing sound around (Fall 2010) that would increase/decrease from the speed I was going.

I took apart my brake assembly and noticed there was a ring of rust around the hub part of the rotor. Not where the brake pad made contact to the rotor so much but the 1/4 inch surface before the pad makes surface (Not noticeable unless you are bending down staring at it). This was mainly on the rear brakes, it was about 70% less rusted on the front.

When I would have the car off the ground and would spin the back tires you could hear the rubbing.

So I just installed brand new Ws6store.com rotors and Hawk HPS pads last night and there is still a rubbing. I would say it has decreased by about 50% but you can definitely still notice it when the music is off.

My question is, What could be causing this sound because it cannot be the rotors, OR can it? The car has 73k on it. Could it be the wheel hub or something off balanced/loose?

Does anyone have any past experience with a similar situation?

Your input is appreciated.

2001 M6 LS1 Z/28 Full Bolt Ons - Full Suspension - Tuned - 3.73s on MT ET II dr
2003 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE - ARP Head bolts - K&N Air Filter - Daily Driva
Raoul-Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1

It's prob the e brake. Mine did it but I just drove it and it went away. You can adjust it
dabest09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 0

Yea rather that or backing plate is bent. Just gotta look for what touching, cant really do much else without looking at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UR4RD View Post
You shut your ***** mouth!
FiredUpZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabest09 View Post
It's prob the e brake. Mine did it but I just drove it and it went away. You can adjust it
Really? What do you mean exactly though, Can you elaborate a little bit?

I can assure you I am not driving with the e-brake on lol

Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 0

F body parking brake consists of small shoes inside the rear rotors. Sometimes the inside of the rotors build up rust, alls you gotta do is get going maybe 20 mph and slowly slow the car down with the hand brake. That should clean them off. To help prevent this, when you park... use the parking brake. Its in the owners manual - no joke! (unless of course the car is gonna sit for a long time, then dont use it or it may not release)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UR4RD View Post
You shut your ***** mouth!
FiredUpZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28 View Post
Yea rather that or backing plate is bent. Just gotta look for what touching, cant really do much else without looking at it.
When I had the rear up in the air I examined the hell out of it but I didnt see any contact. What is the backing plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28 View Post
F body parking brake consists of small shoes inside the rear rotors. Sometimes the inside of the rotors build up rust, alls you gotta do is get going maybe 20 mph and slowly slow the car down with the hand brake. That should clean them off. To help prevent this, when you park... use the parking brake. Its in the owners manual - no joke! (unless of course the car is gonna sit for a long time, then dont use it or it may not release)
The thing is I just installed brand new rotors and its still making this noise. I do use the parking brake cause the car is a M6. But you did make clear that I should not use it over periods of time because I believe when I had it parked for weeks on end those winter seasons garaged the parking brake was on Will this cause anything serious or this sound?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1

When I did my rotors and pads and would spin the back wheels it would make a slight rubbing noise, sounded like metal contacting metal. If not adjusted correctly, the e-brake can grab a little and make that sound. There's an adjustment on it but I didn't feel like messing with it. I'm sure if you searched you could find out how to adjust it, I don't think it's very hard.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabest09 View Post
When I did my rotors and pads and would spin the back wheels it would make a slight rubbing noise, sounded like metal contacting metal. If not adjusted correctly, the e-brake can grab a little and make that sound. There's an adjustment on it but I didn't feel like messing with it. I'm sure if you searched you could find out how to adjust it, I don't think it's very hard.
That is exactly what it sounds like and just from the back. I just have to figure out now how to adjust the damn thing.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
TECH Junkie

Trader Rating: 7

You sure your not just hearing the pads slight contact with the rotor? They can potentially be touching the rotor at all times. Do you feel a lot of resistance. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
z28bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Save the manuals!

Trader Rating: 5

Yes, the parking brakes need to be adjusted to every new set of rotors. However, if you had the noise after driving for 15K miles on your first set of rotors, its probably something else. If your pads were dragging, they would have burned down the material to the point where they would stop dragging.

You should definitely check the adjustment on the parking brake, but be prepared for that not to fix your issue.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28bryan View Post
You sure your not just hearing the pads slight contact with the rotor? They can potentially be touching the rotor at all times. Do you feel a lot of resistance. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
It could be, but this is pretty noticeable to where I would think something is definitely causing this other than that. I hope its not the pads because I want to fix this lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by wssix99 View Post
Yes, the parking brakes need to be adjusted to every new set of rotors. However, if you had the noise after driving for 15K miles on your first set of rotors, its probably something else. If your pads were dragging, they would have burned down the material to the point where they would stop dragging.

You should definitely check the adjustment on the parking brake, but be prepared for that not to fix your issue.

Well I started hearing this sound after about 7k miles into the 15k miles. With the brand new rotors being on there the sound did decrease but only about 30-40% I would say.

BTW How do I check the parking brake? Where and what am I looking for?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Save the manuals!

Trader Rating: 5

If you take the cable/spring off each lever that sticks out of the rear brake backing plate, you can test it. A properly adjusted parking brake should have 2-3mm of play when you operate it by hand. If you have less play, the brakes are too tight. If you have more play, they are a bit loose and may not hold on a steep hill. (Obviously, if you have more than 2-3mm of play, the parking brake shouldn't be your noise unless something is broken inside the drum.)

If your brakes are out of adjustment, you'll need to take the rotor off, adjust, put the rotor back on, retest, and repeat if needed. As an added bonus, you have to do both sides of the car.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote