Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handling has become very sloppy, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling has become very sloppy, ideas?

Whenever I'm cruising at 65MPH or higher the car's handling completely goes down the drain, it feels like I'm driving a mini van. Every time I turn the wheel to the left or right a little bit, the whole car bounces and sways, the turns are sluggish, and the tail wobbles a bit. I replaced all of the shocks and struts in the car with Bilsteins back in November of last year.

The weird thing is, the handling usually only deteriorates during the day time, when it's warm out. Usually at night time in the cooler air the handling returns. However today it felt incredibly bad at higher speeds, I thought one of my tires may be low on air.

Anyone have any ideas please? Are some parts wearing out? Has anyone had this happen before?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

This is an incredibly common problem with these cars it would seem. Unfortunately the answer is never simple.

Most suggest shocks. Some suggest pan hard bar.

It's a frustrating problem I've been reading about for years now.

Should be a sticky because a new thread pops up every other week about these hanndling issues.

Sorry I can't offer any help.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

I didn't know it was a common problem, don't think I have ever seen a thread for it before.

Could it possibly be the tires? They have about 30,000 miles on them now, and they are some super cheap tires. Fuzion brand.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

If you have old cheap tires, that's the first place I'd look. After that, make sure the shocks are good, then panhard bar.

One guy apparently fixed his handling issue by determining his sway bar had bent.

Good luck amigo! Post up if you find the issue!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
If you have old cheap tires, that's the first place I'd look. After that, make sure the shocks are good, then panhard bar.

One guy apparently fixed his handling issue by determining his sway bar had bent.

Good luck amigo! Post up if you find the issue!
Shocks should be good, they only have a few thousand miles on them and are less than 6 months old.

The weirdest thing is the handling returns at night when it's cool out, but really goes down during the day time when it's warm out.

I will look into the panhard bar, not sure about that one. And the tires.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Broken sway bar? I'm not familiar with this issue on f-body's, but I've seen it a lot on 10 y/o Regals and Grand Prixs.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing is make sure EVERYTHING under the car is tight. I mean every nut and bolt. Then start looking for worn items. Since temps seem to make a difference it could be the tires too.

Quick Reply: Handling has become very sloppy, ideas?