Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PICS - Does this look "off" to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PICS - Does this look "off" to anyone?

View from passenger side - The sway bar is rubbing on the pumpkin

View from driver side

View from behind - You can see the "rub" marks from the sway bar here

The torque arm is currently set to provide clearance between the differential and the upper panhard bar (see pic #1). If I get adjustable LCAs, could I bring the rear end forward enough to alllow me to set the pinion angle on the torque arm to the correct position? When set to default setting, the differential and the upper panhard were in constant contact and any bump in the road just about shattered my teeth. Has anyone dealt with this before? I am thinking of getting UMI adjustable LCAs and Strano sway bars. Does anyone know if the bend in the rear sway bar that goes around the differential is bigger than the facory sway bar, providing more clearance? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you mount it upside down? Maybe the endlinks are too long...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

It's not upside down... you need sway bar mounting spacers. Check with UMI or BMR.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
It's not upside down... you need sway bar mounting spacers. Check with UMI or BMR.
I planned on purchasing them when I order my Strano sway bar set.

Any update on the pinion angle question?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I measured the wheel base and my car is showing 102.5" which I think is 1.4" too long. How much adjustment will I have with adjustable LCAs?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a photo of your wheel's placement with the wheel well (from the outside of your car, like a normal side shot.)

If its really bad you (we) will be able to see by eye if the rear end is centered too far rear.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Take a photo of your wheel's placement with the wheel well (from the outside of your car, like a normal side shot.)

If its really bad you (we) will be able to see by eye if the rear end is centered too far rear.
I will take one tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Driver side rear

Passenger side rear

Passenger side view from further away

Clearly the pics show the rear end too far back. Will adjustable LCAs let me move the rear end THIS far forward? Thanks guys.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Yea that is way to far back. Looks like the upper PHB brace is contacting the rear also.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i got some UMI heavy duty sway mounts......dont have that problem no more with my alum cover
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the top adjustment screw on the torque arm. I think this is the cause of my problem.

So I think I need to take the torque arm off and shorten the it by screwing this in until 8 threads are showing. Ramey and/or Sam, I think we got it figured out. Wish I knew more about all this stuff, I could have been more help on the phone.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Nick. I learn every day so no problem-o. I'll send you an email reply with a few other tips and tricks for assembly.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, an adjustable set of lower control arms look like they will help you. It's not uncommon for the T/A to hit in this location, but it is very uncommon for the rearend to sit to far back. Your relocation brackets may have been installed improperly causing the rearend to sit crooked.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not a big deal - but your end link bolts are upside down. Only issue there is you might crack your head on it while you're under the car.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Did you get that fixed with the spacer?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be able to adjust the torque arm on Saturday. Then I should be able to drive her again. I ordered Strano's 35/22 swaybar set and UMI swaybar spacers, but they are on back order. I will post once torque arm is fixed and again once the swaybars come in. Thanks guys, this site made me fall in love with my car again. Instead of just frustration.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I got the torque arm shortened by adjusting the top adjusting bolt. What tricks do you guys have for setting the pinion angle. I would like to be able to do it at home. I do have an angle finder. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nick D
So I got the torque arm shortened by adjusting the top adjusting bolt. What tricks do you guys have for setting the pinion angle. I would like to be able to do it at home. I do have an angle finder. Thanks.
Hi Nick.

Did the wheel well/tire location seem to improve?

I'm actually working on a technique to make it super-easy to set pinion angle. The car should be up high enough to get under with the suspension loaded (i.e. jackstands under the suspension, on ramps, etc.) Adjust with your angle finder until the driveshaft and torque arm bracket read exactly the same. Then lengthen the bottom adjuster one half turn and measure. I'm still doing the trig to decide how much adjuster turnage equals two degrees...

ramey
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hi Nick.

Did the wheel well/tire location seem to improve?

I'm actually working on a technique to make it super-easy to set pinion angle. The car should be up high enough to get under with the suspension loaded (i.e. jackstands under the suspension, on ramps, etc.) Adjust with your angle finder until the driveshaft and torque arm bracket read exactly the same. Then lengthen the bottom adjuster one half turn and measure. I'm still doing the trig to decide how much adjuster turnage equals two degrees...

ramey
I did what I could with the instructions I had, but they were more suited to removing the factory torque arm and connecting to a factory rear end. Taking my UMI torque arm off and connecting it to a Moser 12 bolt meant I had to improvise a little on the instructions. I did get it shortened and then put back on, but I know my pinion angle is way off again. The shop today did not have a drive up lift, so everything I did was without the suspension loaded. The auto hobby shop that I was in today is closed tomorrow, so I may see if any of my neighbors have ramps so I can get under there on a creeper and fix it. I hope I can get this squared away soon. I drove it home, but the rear end didn't move forward at all, I think due to the pinion angle?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

It could be but I'd hate to know how much pinion angle would move the wheels that far back. Did it vibrate?

Can you post pics of the front attachment point?

Quick Reply: PICS - Does this look "off" to anyone?