Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please help w/ choosing a good brand of suspension bushings.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help w/ choosing a good brand of suspension bushings.

Looking to upgrade to better-than-stock suspension bushings for front/rear sway bars and control arms and anywhere else there is a bushing. My '98 SS is a cruiser with the occasional corner carving but nothing big and never sees the track so I'm really not looking to replace the stock sway bars or control arms (ok, maybe the rear control arms).
Any suggestions would be cool.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Looking to upgrade to better-than-stock suspension bushings for front/rear sway bars and control arms and anywhere else there is a bushing. My '98 SS is a cruiser with the occasional corner carving but nothing big and never sees the track so I'm really not looking to replace the stock sway bars or control arms (ok, maybe the rear control arms).
Any suggestions would be cool.
Thanks.
Poly is ok for the swaybar endlinks and D bushings only, but put solid rubber everywhere else. Poly bushings in control arms (or other suspension pieces that need to articulate) will cause bind and hurt handling (people will confuse stiffer feel for better handling, thats not better handling...) and ride.
Replacing bushings will likely make a minimal difference, if you are looking for the best bang for the buck in terms of handling/feel, good shocks is bar far the best thing you can do. Ive done just about everything, good shocks are definitely the way to go.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Energy Suspension and Prothane are two reputable brands. As for lower arms, check out UMI. We have multiple bushing combinations.

And I agree with JD, the best shocks you can afford.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not setting up a track car then rubber all the way. Anything more is overkill (rod ends) or useless (poly). There's a reason why OEM parts come with rubber bushings, rubber works very well, it's quiet, not harsh, articulates well, lasts very long, and doesn't need maintenance.

There's a lot of people who swear by polyurethane bushings, and say they're the greatest **** you can put on your car. I have to wonder when they're ready to buy tires made of polyurethane instead of rubber because polyurethane is supposedly sooooo much better than crappy rubber.

For a cruiser that does some corner carving I would recommend a good set of shocks, either Bilsteins or Konis, Sam Strano's sway bars, and Moog 1LE rear LCA bushings.

Quick Reply: Please help w/ choosing a good brand of suspension bushings.