Sponsored by
Weld Racing

K member and a arms ??

Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12
Default K member and a arms ??

Do they really they help other than weight?
js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

I was just gonna ask this too. Anyone done A-Arms on a street car? If so how'd it do after?
mrx8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12

I am sure it is rougher
js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 60

I got PA Racing k-member and UMI upper and lower a arms. I really didn't notice that much of a difference. If i did it over again. I would only do the k-member. I just didn't find what you pay for the a arms that beneficial. Now for a car on the strip and looking for every little bit of weight savings it prolly is beneficial or for a auto cross car. But a daily driver I'd stick with the stock stuff.

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 3.8 DD - 199k and then committed suicide
1999 Pontiac TransAm m6 - TSP LongTube Headers, TSP ORY, Magnamouth Bullet dumped, FAST 102, NW 102 TB, MS3, PRC 2.5 5.3 heads, Monster Stage 5, Tick Master, LS2 Timing Set, TSP Ported Oil Pump, Full Tubular Suspension.

Got Money? Watch my ***.
Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

I think the main benefit (although I can certainly be wrong, please correct me if so) in doing A-arms is if you have a lowered car, you can get A-arms that have elongated alignment slots so that you can actually put the car at the correct alignment specs. I forget which one specifically won't quite get there with a lowered car (caster I think, but might be camber).

Like Choppers mentioned, probably not a big help, but if you drive a lot it may improve tire wear?
Shenlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

Look at the design on the stock arms....The front bushing is horizontal (left to right) and the rear bushing is vertical (up and down). The rear bushing rear limits up/down movement because of the design of the arm. It is designed that way to keep the arm from collapsing rearward under load (pothole etc). When you switch to an aftermarket arm that has a free moving joint there instead of a bushing it frees up the up/down arm movement during driving. That's good for weight transfer in drag racing and for articulation in road racing as well. Win/win.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
TECH Resident
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 4

not meaning to hijack thread, but also had a question or two........o and for the op, another thing people like aftermarket k frames for is it clears up some room for headers, and makes it much easier to work on the car and access things from underneath.....now my question is, will it do any harm if you only do street driving? i kinda like the idea of beingable to work underneath it a little easier? also, is the stock k member "stronger" than an aftermarket k member?
Floorman279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

Stock k member is definitely stronger.

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
LS1Tech Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Look at the design on the stock arms....The front bushing is horizontal (left to right) and the rear bushing is vertical (up and down). The rear bushing rear limits up/down movement because of the design of the arm. It is designed that way to keep the arm from collapsing rearward under load (pothole etc). When you switch to an aftermarket arm that has a free moving joint there instead of a bushing it frees up the up/down arm movement during driving. That's good for weight transfer in drag racing and for articulation in road racing as well. Win/win.
This is a good explanation for the benefits of an aftermarket tubular a-arm.
www.bmrsuspension.com

BMR Sales2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
TECH Senior Member
1999 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to SparkyJJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Other vehicles have both lower arm bushings horizontal and seem to be fine

The fbody bushings always confused me with the one horizontal and one vertical. It does limit what you can do with it.

I was thinking of maybe getting some UMI lowers with a roto joint to help with the range of movement. I'm not a fan of rod ends for a DD, roto joints seem to be a good happy medium from all that I can tell. I figure before I buy any suspension items however I may give Sam a call just to go over my ideas and make sure I'm on the right track.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
Other vehicles have both lower arm bushings horizontal and seem to be fine

The fbody bushings always confused me with the one horizontal and one vertical. It does limit what you can do with it.

I was thinking of maybe getting some UMI lowers with a roto joint to help with the range of movement. I'm not a fan of rod ends for a DD, roto joints seem to be a good happy medium from all that I can tell. I figure before I buy any suspension items however I may give Sam a call just to go over my ideas and make sure I'm on the right track.

if i dont see any improvement i won't be too bummed...LOOK how cool this Sh*t is!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Homeless2bNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
LS1Tech Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

The main benefits of a k-member and a-arms is (1) weight reduction (2) getting much better bushings in them and (3) increased clearance and adjustability. The stock stuff is pretty strong by design. A leading manufacturers k-member and arms offer adequate strength at 30-ish lbs less.
UMI Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
LS1Tech Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
The main benefits of a k-member and a-arms is (1) weight reduction (2) getting much better bushings in them and (3) increased clearance and adjustability. The stock stuff is pretty strong by design. A leading manufacturers k-member and arms offer adequate strength at 30-ish lbs less.
Indeed.

If you're not going to track your car and cannot justify the price of the parts for weight reduction, then don't worry about not installing them or feel pressured into buying a part just because it's available for the car.

These parts were designed and built for racers looking to shave weight while maintaining excellent strength to one of the most crucial areas of the car - the front subframe and engine cradle. Reducing weight in the A-arms helps with handling and suspension response because it's unsprung weight. Overall, they provide a performance benefit that many appreciate. It's not going to be a seat of the pants benefit like swaybars or shocks - which offer instant gratification - but something you can see each lap around a road course or through the steering wheel...or at the track with vehicle weight transfer and a reduction in your short times that translate into quicker times.
- Kevin
www.bmrsuspension.com (Order directly off our website with your credit card too!)
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
***Find a Quality Alignment Shop Near You!***
BMR Tech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
The Scammer Hammer
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY View Post
if i dont see any improvement i won't be too bummed...LOOK how cool this Sh*t is!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Man, that **** DOES look pretty cool......

2008 Escalade - Cold Air Inductions CAI, SE Longtubes, ORY, Corsa Sport, Geoff @ EPS Tuned
2004 Corvette M6 - 352 / 369 - Blackwing, Pfadt 1 7/8" Tri-Y LT's, 3" X Pipe, Corsa Extreme, Geoff @ EPS Tuned
2001 SS Blk M6 #1489 - 460 / 420 - SOLD - AFR 205's, FAST 92, Ed Curtis Cam, Geoff @ EPS Tuned
dr_whigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement