00 Z28
5.3/4l80e
s480 turbo
Strange Coilovers in front
50/50 drag shocks in rear
Rod ended LCA's, PHB, Torque arm
8.8" Rear
Skinnies in front

This car will be my DD/winter car (kinda crazy, I know )

I realize that already with my components that I will not be able to take turns fast. With these items in mind, does it make any sense Not to go with a drag anti-roll bar? I am not opposed to going with an upgraded normal rear sway for the street if it will help and still be good for the times I take the car to the track.

So, i'm just looking for opinions and insight from people who have done this or know about this either good or bad.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I DD with the Spohn bar on back and nothing on the front. I'm right outside Chicago so we do get some snow. It all really depends on how you drive. My car isn't making near the power yours is, but it drives just fine. You just can't corner like a Vette. You don't really need to worry about, just be aware of it and you'll be fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm right outside of Chicago, just over the border a few miles in Indiana, so I feel you with the snow (except this year so far, bought brand new winter tires too lol). Thanks for the comment.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always go with an adjustable sway bar. That way you can have the best of both worlds. Just adjust it when you go to the track.

I believe Sam Strano sells one, that Hellwig makes for him...according to the specs he was looking for. Also, Hotchkis makes an adjustable sway bar.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

You could easily do what you want for the racing season and then swap it back to stock for the winter.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
You could easily do what you want for the racing season and then swap it back to stock for the winter.
This is the way I would go if I was in this position. With our BMR anti-roll bar which is a bolt-in design you can swap back and forth between our anti-roll bar and a more snow/daily driver friendly stock style rear sway bar. This setup will allow you to have the best of both worlds without really sacrificing anything.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

They all sound interesting, especially the adjustable route. I had a BMR xtreme anti-roll bar on my old race car, but I never drove it on the street to really notice if it was harsh. I just need my wife to not want to kill me (more than normal) because the rear bar was too harsh.

My BMR bar worked great and lifted the front tires evenly, I just want to make sure it's decent. I currently do not have any bar for the back and need to get something.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say tell the wife to deal with it...I did. Actually driving with the Spohn on my car isn't even noticeable. The only thing I noticed if you jump on it going around a corner it has a tendency to go around faster than normal. It causes the car to have severe oversteer. It's only noticeable if the rear doesn't have traction though. I was slaloming my car on the highway at about 100 with 245/50/16 Nitto's and skinnies and the bar didn't cause it to have any adverse reactions. If you're ever in the NW suburbs and want to see what it's like, you're more than welcome to hit me up. I personally think the rod ended parts cause more noise, I just don't care about it.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive on the street with a Wolfe drag bar. Was not very noticeable at all. For the winter you could always disconnect the link from the bar to the chassis if you wanted to...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nothing wrong with having a stiff bar. it will not roll in the back, but you get used to it. everone I know just deals with it, after doing it. When beofre thought they were going to change back to a mild bar or take a endlink off for street driving

2-3 years with a soild BMR stock style, and 2 years now with a real TRZ rod endlinks, welded ends strait tubing ARB style.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys! All personal experiences have been helpful, i'm definitely not afraid to go grab a heavy duty ARB now. I'll be on the prowl in the classifieds to see what I can come up with!!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

You need something....that 3 wheel motion you had today was horrible lol
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

I have the UMI drag sway bar on my car and it is a good quality piece, it has two holes to connect the rod ends too from the body, one hole is more for street, and the other hole is for the drag strip, I have mine in the drag hole and I can tell a huge difference in stiffness!

Quick Reply: Sway bar or Drag bar - need opinions for DD