Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

any way to get good ride with eibach/koni?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any way to get good ride with eibach/koni?

My car has had Eibach springs and stock shocks since Ive had it. I love the stance but hate feeling EVERY imprefection in EVERY road. So thanks to koni running a killer deal I picked up a pair of 4X3's, put the rears on last night and now its takes corners like a champ but still rides like a chariot. Is there any setting on the konis that I can get a smoother ride out of or should I just put in the free BMR springs I got and sacrafice the stance/ride height a little bit?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Short answer is no. Any time you trade travel for lower height you give up ride quality. There are modifications to get some of that travel back, upper mount mod, shortening the rear bumps stops. Then there are alternative paths to lower height: BMR 1" lower a-arms.

The easiest method is just put on the BMR springs, and give up the slammed look.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The spring rates on the rear Eibachs are to soft for the amount of suspension travel. You'll need to either raise the rear up some with spacers, or go with rear springs that have a higher spring rate.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you even adjusted your Koni's yet???

see, most folks buy the koni's and they're basically set at full soft from Koni, so if that's the case and you haven't adjusted them, then they're about as soft as Bilstein HD's, but juuust a bit stiffer.

When you adjust the Koni's THEN you're going to notice a BIG difference.

If you haven't adjusted them yet, read the instructions on them, and first adjust them to MAKE SURE the fronts and rears are at full soft.

THEN,
go 4 sweeps from full soft for the fronts, and between 1/2 turn to 1 full turn from soft from the rears, and drive it around and get back to us.

You'll see a HUGE improvement.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He has the off-car adjustable rear koni's; full soft or 1 click should be what he wants.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eibachs are junk after 20k miles. Hop on those bmr springs and sell the used eibachs to recoup most of the bmr cost
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I DD my car now compared to before and of all freeways in cali the 405. I was shocked as to how well the car puts up with this commute with my setup and some of it might be the SFC's as well soaking up bumps and dips too. Ive driven 2011-2012 BONE STOCK convertible camaro's that rides terrible. So i have to say yes the car will definitly ride better and it did without lowering springs but the way it is now i cant complain at all.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had pretty much the same setup except 4/4's. Looked great, handled awesome but the daily commute here around Memphis was awful. I hated how every time i would see a possible bump coming up i would instinctively stiffen up and brace for impact. Tried messing with the settings but still was too harsh for me. I just chalked it up as a learning experience and swapped out the shocks back to some cheap decarbons as another experiment then sold the konis. Probably going to blow one out soon enough but they're easy enough to change anyway. 30k miles so far. How does it ride now? Well like a boat and handles like **** but my back feels better and i don't race it so it's a sacrifice im willing to live with to have it lowered. Stiff and beating the **** out of me and lowered i won't live with. It does seem to squat and hook better on launch.

Before i get flamed i did a lot of research on different setups and to the best of my knowledge the Carl Blackbirds run Eibachs and decarbons, so if its good enough for them.....

Last edited by sneaky7980; 04-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I have the rears on click from full soft. Ive been doing quite a bit of research on here last couple days and Im probably just going to wait for the bmr springs to come in later this week, then go with them and koni's and sacrafice a little ride height for a nicer riding car.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I've used both Sportlines and the ProKit. NO, there is no way to get a "good" ride out of Eibach's
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size wheels are you running? I notice a decent ride difference between the 16" stockers and the 19's.

You got a "sport" suspension, it's doing what it's supposed to do. Many exotics ride exactly like your car. You want it to ride like a caddy, sell it and buy a caddy.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BMR's will improve the ride without really hurting the stance.

Quick Reply: any way to get good ride with eibach/koni?