Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help with front shock spring cup

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with front shock spring cup

Doing my Strano's and Bilstein's and I got the driver side front spring/shock out and almost disassembled. Everything is off the shock except for the lower cup that the spring sits on. How the heck does this thing come off? The only way I can get it to move at all is with a big hammer. Sorry I searched but couldn't find anything.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just have to keep tapping it with a hammer. It will move - just do it evenly, one side then the other working it along. Take a look for burrs/dents and such that could impede progress. Mine came off without too much difficulty, and my shocks had been on the car for over 100k miles. I had to cut the top shock mount off of one with a metal reciperocating saw.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks. That's what I was doing just didn't know if there was a better way. They've been on there about 150,000 miles and apparantly the guy who had it before loved to drive down dirt/limerock roads.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Mine had a little over a 160,000 miles on it and both of my lower spring perches pulled right off. Now the top shock nut... one was cut, one was beat with an impact for about 5 minutes. Overall took everyones advice and got new upper shock mounts.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just need a little more tap tap tappero.

I just got done installing koni/stranos. Which came with the lower spring perch. Ended up ordering new strut mounts as well. The bilsteins on my car would not budge so i'll try and sell the whole assembly together.

Another car that had 100k decarbons they slid right off so not sure. Probably like you said depends where the car was used.

Quick Reply: Need help with front shock spring cup