Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How did this happen? MWC tunnel mount w/ DSL

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How did this happen? MWC tunnel mount w/ DSL

im not sure wtf happened here, but it looks like ****. any ideas?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Um... whats the problem? Is the DS rubbing on the loop?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

It looks bent to me. The horizontal bar looks like its lower on the left side.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, I see now
Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple comments. If it is that far off I think it is your body. No way is that little mount with the 4 little bolts going to twist the floor that bad.

Take if back off and measure from ground to each side. Write that down. Then put it on and measure it side. The difference in size will be very small
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Ill give it a shot. I just dont know how it got bent.....how would i fix this?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

i would assume its the bar before the under body of the car. The mounts on the car look even atleast from the picture. i think its the bar itself
Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure the motor and transmission mounts are sstill good?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The tube is hand formed, and the mounting points, torque arm tabs, and the driveshaft loop are all fixture located. While it would be possible for it to be slightly different in that area from one to another, the way that looks is correct as we use this crossmember for customers with custom true duals or that have both pipes down the passenger side of the tunnel, and some single 4" systems as well. The passenger side is slightly higher in the car to aid in exhaust clearance for this reason.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thats correct but unfortunetly the fit is very tight, i run a single 4 inch exhaust and a 3.5 drifeshaft and lets just say the fit of my DSL was pretty bad, clearence was pretty horrible alot of banging with a hammer was needed, I still had alot of issue with the 4 inch pipe hitting the DS loop and also the driveshaft rubbed on the loop some, eventually I drove around on the car and eventually all the banging cleared itself out.

not to say anything bad about MWC products but the fit isnt exactly the best however I have a completly different design than you from MWC mine goes up into the tunnel and OVER the TQ arm DS and exhaust, so the brackets themselfs took about a 1/4 inch of clearence out of each side of the tunnel and things were already pretty tight under my car.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

keep in mind things can always be tweaked a little, you could add some washers inbetween the bracket and body and pull it down some to get it more cented around the DS
Old 06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The tube is hand formed, and the mounting points, torque arm tabs, and the driveshaft loop are all fixture located. While it would be possible for it to be slightly different in that area from one to another, the way that looks is correct as we use this crossmember for customers with custom true duals or that have both pipes down the passenger side of the tunnel, and some single 4" systems as well. The passenger side is slightly higher in the car to aid in exhaust clearance for this reason.
Thanks eric!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
keep in mind things can always be tweaked a little, you could add some washers inbetween the bracket and body and pull it down some to get it more cented around the DS
right on, ill probably have to do that, cuz the drive shaft has hit it before. Check out my new exhaust system im running, its a better fit than my old TSP style setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...drel-bent.html

thanks guys, im glad its supposed to be like that. I thought it was really fucked up lol.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some driveshafts will be closer at the bottom of the loop than others when the rearend is hanging due to differences in the length of the shocks, and unfortunately not all of theses cars are built exactly the same. I wish they were and everyone had the same exhaust systems... would make my job so much easier!

For as many of these rearends, torque arms, and driveshaft loops as we have out there, and for only having a few different designs of crossmembers and only two types of torque arms(one more than most of the other guys) available to suit everyone's needs I think it has gone very well for the most part.

Keep in mind for those of you that have custom setups or simply a car that needs a different fit, MWC is more than capable of making what you need. MWC is a chassis shop, not just a parts production place.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Some driveshafts will be closer at the bottom of the loop than others when the rearend is hanging due to differences in the length of the shocks, and unfortunately not all of theses cars are built exactly the same. I wish they were and everyone had the same exhaust systems... would make my job so much easier!

For as many of these rearends, torque arms, and driveshaft loops as we have out there, and for only having a few different designs of crossmembers and only two types of torque arms(one more than most of the other guys) available to suit everyone's needs I think it has gone very well for the most part.

Keep in mind for those of you that have custom setups or simply a car that needs a different fit, MWC is more than capable of making what you need. MWC is a chassis shop, not just a parts production place.
Ya, my car was on a drive-on style lift in this pic, so its fully loaded. my tranny mount is bad. i ordered a prothane one. that shoould give me a lot more clearance.

also, guys, he forgot to mention MWC is extremely knowledgeable, and they will help you with any questions you have. I bet i called erice 100 times with my rear install and he was patient and helped me a ton! Gotta reset my pinion angle tomorrow. hope all goes well. Eric, quick question. I know you explained it to me the other day on the phone. but when i set the pinion angle, do i set the rear at 0*? htne go fromt here, or just adjust it until teh difference between the driveshaft angle and the diff pinion angle is a little over 1*? thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Just an observation, but the angle brackets are welded on different, it looks like the one on the passenger side has been welded on upside down. If it had been the same as the driver side it would have lowered the passenger side to what would appear to be the correct height. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

Last edited by RAMPANT; 06-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: How did this happen? MWC tunnel mount w/ DSL