Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help installing front springs/shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing front springs/shocks!

I am having trouble putting on my front shocks/springs. I have everything assembled and can put the top part of the shock/spring assembly through the frame and install the 4 tower nuts/bolts but the lower shock holes don't line up with the holes in the A-arm -- they are about 90 degrees off. How do I go about fixing this? I read on a few "how-to" writeups that I can just turn the shock until the lower bolt holes line up but I tried that and the shock wouldn't budge.

Do I have to take apart the whole assembly and just make sure I install it with everything perfectly aligned? I wasn't really paying attention to the alignment the first time around. Or is there an easier way that doesn't involve compressing the spring again.

Thanks.

BTW they are SLP Eibachs/Bilstein HDs, not that that really matters.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I needed someone to help me, the other person held one end of the assembled spring/shock and I twisted the other end. It took alot of persuasion but it will turn.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

i had the same prob with mine when i put my springs on i had to compress the spring agian and turn the shock around
Old 03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah you'll probably have to take the spring off to turn the top or bottom to line it all up. Before I took the upper seat off the stock shock, I marked it in relation to the bottom of the shock, so when the shop mounted the spring on the new shocks, the upper seat would line up correctly with the lower mount of the shock.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys... I had to recompress the spring and rotate the upper seat so that the lower holes would line up.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could of pushed on the shock/spring assembly so that it is somewhat lining up with the lower a-arm, then jack up the a-arm until you can start the bolts, thats what I did. If that doesnt work, put a pry bar in the spring and pry up, its basically like compressing the spring, you should be able to get it lined up then. Hope that helps.