Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to remove lower control arm bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to remove lower control arm bolts?

Hey guys

I'm replacing my front lower control arms and I've removed everything except the two bolts in the back (one vertical and one horizontal). I for the life of me can't figure out where the clearance to get these things out comes from.

the horizontal runs into the front axle/tie rod. I've tried moving it around and I can get close but it doesn't want to budge all the way. That one might just need some clever angling but any tips would be appreciated.

The vertical one I am definitely stumped. It looks like it goes up into the body. I can't even really see it looking in from the wheel well. It seems to be hitting the body when I try to hammer it up. Not working though.

would love some tips if you got em.

​​​​​​​appreciated.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To get the horizontal bolt out, disconnect the tie rod from the control arm, and turn the steering wheel all the way (right for left side, left for right side).

The vertical bolt has plenty of clearance but you, yes, not easy to get to. It should just fall out once you get it to budge. To drop it back in, you will have to reach up and around blind. If you have trouble getting it to move, you may have to cut it. I had to cut the one on the driver's side as it was frozen solid inside the bushing sleeve.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. The vertical one is plenty lose from the bushing. It just seems to be hitting something else up there.

​​​​​​​I have pretty much all sunday to figure it out so hopefully I can get it
Old 04-16-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You just slide the a-arm inward or outward, until you get the clearance for the bolt to lift out.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Take the nuts off, the bolt heads have a tanged lip that prevents it from backing off. Should be a 21 or 22mm. Use a long *** ratchet or a breaker bar and they should come loose if your car has minimal rust.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The horizontal bolt you can get out just by turning the wheel full left and right and you can get the bolt past the boot. I don't know what your issue is with the vertical bolt unless the cam on the bolt is stuck/rusted in the cradle. Make sure the control arm is inboard on the slot to get the most clearance for tha tbolt Mine the bolt was rusted solid to the sleeve and I had to cut it off with a carbide tipped blade.

Quick Reply: how to remove lower control arm bolts?