Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm: long/short & relocation with S60 install ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default torque arm: long/short & relocation with S60 install ?

considering replacing my rear with a strange S60 and the BMR 3-hole LCA brackets are recommended. That got me looking into torque arms and torque arm relocation cross member.

fwiw i have UMI adjustable LCA's and an UMI adjustable PHB that I can put back on the car, along with UMI bolt-in subframe connectors.

Came across threads about a long versus short torque arm, but I do not see long or short advertised on the torque arms by BMR and UMI currently.
If I get a replacement torque arm and do the cross member relocation thing, do I have to be careful what I buy? I don't want to buy stuff and not have it fit.
The other thing is i'm looking for good road manners and quiet vibration free operation. I get the impression all this stuff is going to be a little worse than stock and I suppose that's ok, but i DONT want the all out track setup where there will be lots of vibration and noise if there's such a thing. Car is a daily summer driver so if I put the money into a new rear I want to do it right once.
thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
considering replacing my rear with a strange S60 and the BMR 3-hole LCA brackets are recommended. That got me looking into torque arms and torque arm relocation cross member.

fwiw i have UMI adjustable LCA's and an UMI adjustable PHB that I can put back on the car, along with UMI bolt-in subframe connectors.

Came across threads about a long versus short torque arm, but I do not see long or short advertised on the torque arms by BMR and UMI currently.
If I get a replacement torque arm and do the cross member relocation thing, do I have to be careful what I buy? I don't want to buy stuff and not have it fit.
The other thing is i'm looking for good road manners and quiet vibration free operation. I get the impression all this stuff is going to be a little worse than stock and I suppose that's ok, but i DONT want the all out track setup where there will be lots of vibration and noise if there's such a thing. Car is a daily summer driver so if I put the money into a new rear I want to do it right once.
thanks.
Hey FMF. It sounds like you're in the market for a long (i.e. factory length) torque arm. They are the quieter of the two styles - the shorter style is usually referred to as tunnel brace mount. Tunnel brace mounts are just that, and are active under the center of the floor. Regardless of how perfect the installation, you can still hear them working.

For road manners and quiet, vibration free operation, you'd be interested in our P/N 2205.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=130

We spec the 2205 for daily drivers, road racing and auto-x.

You can see some more pics here on this install:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro

Let me know if you have any particular questions. Happy to help.

ramey
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said two key things: good road manners and vibration free. That screams long style torque arm. The stock length torque arm is best for both. The short style torque arm doesn't allow the same rotation of the axle as the long one does, limiting max handling manners. It also is poly mounted right into the body, which will bring vibrations.

I am running a UMI adjustable stock length torque arm. I love it. It made the car feel way more solid, but the only way I would recommend a short style torque arm on a street car is if you only care about straight line acceleration at the track, in which the short arm would shine more.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely stick to the full length torque arm with a torque arm relocation crossmember. This setup will keep the added noise to a minimum and give you the performance you are looing for. The nice thing about this setup is not only will it work well for handling but it can also be set up to work very well at the track. Let me know if you have any questions are if there is something we can help you out with.
Attached Thumbnails torque arm: long/short & relocation with S60 install ?-ta001r.jpg   torque arm: long/short & relocation with S60 install ?-tcc007r.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

X2 That's the setup I have. Good street manners, no excessive noise. Works great at the track also.

Ryan
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
X2 That's the setup I have. Good street manners, no excessive noise. Works great at the track also.

Ryan
We are glad to hear that you are happy with your BMR Suspension parts.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I have s few questions about the adjustments on the relocation crossmember. I know moving it up and down changes instant center but which way does what. And if I lower the car with springs do I still want to start in the factory location.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wile E's 98
Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I have s few questions about the adjustments on the relocation crossmember. I know moving it up and down changes instant center but which way does what. And if I lower the car with springs do I still want to start in the factory location.
No prob on the thread, that's why we're here.

Moving it up moves the IC upward and rearward. Up the whole way is best for drag racing. If you lower, it's ok and beneficial to raise the nose as far as possible except if you have a non-adjustable torque arm. If non-adjustable, the front mount helps determine your angles. If you have an adjustable one, go as high as possible on the nose and then reset pinion angle accordingly with the lower adjuster.

ramey
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Ramey. I got one of your adjustable ones. Just got it in yesterday and it looks so good i cant wait to get it installed. One more quik question: I noticed the bushing for the front is not completly square, does it matter which way it gets installed.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Hey Wile E. Thanks for the order.

Sorry for the delay. The bushing goes with the divot in the lower left and upper right as your sitting in the drivers seat.

Let me know how you make out.

ramey
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

I have a quick question for UMI. Will your full length T/A (PN 2205) be compatible with the Relocation Crossmember (PN 2207)?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b0b
I have a quick question for UMI. Will your full length T/A (PN 2205) be compatible with the Relocation Crossmember (PN 2207)?
Yes, those items are designed to work together or separate.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

That setup is also compatible with longtubes and 3" y pipe right? Thanks for fast response..
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by b0b
That setup is also compatible with longtubes and 3" y pipe right? Thanks for fast response..
Yes indeed.

Check these pics for a look: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro

Thanks for considering UMI.

ramey
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Got it installed, fit and finish are excellent. Haven't got it on the road yet, been putting on new brakes and shocks and cleaning and painting the underneath. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wile E's 98
Got it installed, fit and finish are excellent. Haven't got it on the road yet, been putting on new brakes and shocks and cleaning and painting the underneath. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Awesome. Glad you like it. The most fun thing is how quick they seem to react. You don't realize how much moving around a stock torque arm does until you try a strong one.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

ramey
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Make sure to get the right cross member for your transmission. I made the mistake in buying a used torque arm and relocation kit and the cross member was for a 4l60e. I have a t56.

Quick Reply: torque arm: long/short & relocation with S60 install ?