Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear sway bar upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear sway bar upgrade?

Howdy!

I have a 2002 Camaro V6 Convertible that I've been upgrading and playing around with. I've upgraded the following:

- Bilstein shocks (from Strano)
- Shock tower brace
- Subframe connectors
- Polyurethane bushing for OEM torque arm
- '1LE-Style' solid rubber rear lower control arm bushings
- Adjustable Panhard bar
- 17" ZR1 rims with P275-40ZR-17 tires

My goal is a corner carving road car that still functions as a daily driver. As a V6 convertible it has the factory 30mm (could be 28mm?) front and 15mm rear sway bars. I find that the car currently understeers quite a bit. I'm looking at upgrading the rear sway bar as the OEM one is a joke in terms of stiffness. Is this the right modification? How big should I go? 22 or 25? I'm certainly not looking at a drag sway bar as I don't want to destroy the ride quality.

It just seems to me that the front and rear are not well matched currently.

Thanks!

Last edited by Monsoon; 05-11-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Order these. Done.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=129&ModelID=8
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit a salvage yard and find a third gen f body.
They had 23 mm rear bars on the z28 and trans ams, I paid $9 for mine, cleaned/painted and added poly bushings. I got a strano 35 mm front.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO put a 3 position adjustable on it.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7
Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still looking at this and wondering if the right upgrade path to perform before the sway bar(s) is actually the springs. I have the OEM springs on this car which I understand to be between 223 and 257 lbs (depending on who you ask) for the front and between 93 and 114 lbs for the rear (again based on who you're asking). From what I've read, you should size your sway bars to your springs so it would appear that springs should be upgraded first.

I looked at cutting the springs but read too many negative things about that and am leaning towards just going with the Strano springs. 223 to 550 lbs seems like a massive leap in spring rate for the front. I used to have a 94 Z28 which had H&R springs and I found the ride to be acceptable with that. How rough do the Strano springs ride? Also, am I asking for trouble to upgrade the springs without upgrading the bars at the same time? I'm trying to keep the cost at an even keel rather than buying everything at once.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Where exactly is the car understeering and what exactly are you doing to cause it to understeer?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I see the understeer condition occur in sharp relatively low speed corners. I notice more body roll than my 94 Z28 used to exhibit. That car was more inclined to oversteer. The understeer I suppose is more predictable but I feel it's just a bit too mushy right now.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

So are you turning your front tires in a direction and your car is not turning with you? Just scrubbing off front tire?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So are you turning your front tires in a direction and your car is not turning with you? Just scrubbing off front tire?
Yes, the front tires begin scrubbing before I feel like they should. I feel like the car is not balanced as well as my previous Camaro. It could be a question of weight as the V6 is lighter (especially in the front) but I think it's more likely the softer springs and lightweight sway bars. So, I'm looking for input as to where the weakest links are to improve the ability to grip.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Monsoon
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still looking at this and wondering if the right upgrade path to perform before the sway bar(s) is actually the springs. I have the OEM springs on this car which I understand to be between 223 and 257 lbs (depending on who you ask) for the front and between 93 and 114 lbs for the rear (again based on who you're asking). From what I've read, you should size your sway bars to your springs so it would appear that springs should be upgraded first.

I looked at cutting the springs but read too many negative things about that and am leaning towards just going with the Strano springs. 223 to 550 lbs seems like a massive leap in spring rate for the front. I used to have a 94 Z28 which had H&R springs and I found the ride to be acceptable with that. How rough do the Strano springs ride? Also, am I asking for trouble to upgrade the springs without upgrading the bars at the same time? I'm trying to keep the cost at an even keel rather than buying everything at once.
You can't just look at rate, it's how and when the rate works and why. Your old H&R's were stiffer than mine are. In fact my springs are about 10% softer at both ends so the balance you will see is just fine.

As for your bars. If you are hellbent on staying with a 30mm front (I dont' know why you would, but if you do), then get a 19mm rear (stock Z28 rear bar). You should not run a 22, let alone anything bigger unless you upgrade that front bar. I'll make the car "turn" as in make it quite prone to oversteer.

As for understeer. Again, where, when matters. If it's an autox, you might need more negative camber, your tires might suck, or you might be just driving in too fast. A bigger bar does not make a car push just because it's bigger. I can but not always. Less roll means less loss of negative camber to the roll, which can enhance grip. I would not put a 35mm bar on the front with the stock rear bar, or even a 19mm if balance is what you after. I know it might sound trite, but I didn't build my bars to make the car push like a tank or oversteer like a top. I built to them carve corners, either around here in Western PA or when I was autocrossing (And winning) in my Z28.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks Sam!

I actually placed an order for your lowering springs today. I figured I'd get those installed and then see if I still felt the bars needed upgrading. I've also decided that if/when I decide to replace the bars I'll be getting a set of your hollow 35/22 bars and have done with it. I really didn't feel I wanted to stay with the OEM front bar in particular, I just felt the rear could not be doing hardly a bit of good as I can flex the damn thing by hand.

However, if you recommend that the bars should be replaced at the same time as the springs to remain balanced, I would be open to considering doing the bars now. Thoughts?

Last edited by Monsoon; 05-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar upgrade?