Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Moog Problem Solver Lower Ball Joints

Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Moog Problem Solver Lower Ball Joints

Just installed a set of these. I will never, ever use another Moog Problem Solver on an F Body again unless there is obvious need for the oversized ball joint. I have never spent so much effort. After the first one, I took the 2nd control arm to the machine shop to have them press it in. When I got it back, you could see where they had needed some serious pressure. They told me they couldn't believe how tight they were. Well, when I got home and tried to install the boot, it wouldn't go. Got out the flashlight and sure enough, it was about 1/4" short of being seated. Out with the BFH. You won't believe what it took to get those things seated...and that's properly seating everything so it goes in straight...which isn't easy on these. If you don't need the oversized joint, go another route. Moog doesn't sell the standard size any longer, so you have to look elsewhere.

Oh yea...don't even think about using the traditional ball joint installation tool. It's laughable.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Some shops that aren't familiar with swapping ball joints are surprised by the amount of pressure they are pressed in with. Our lower A-arms require 13 tons of pressure to press in a ball joint - 26,000lbs. When they're in there...they're in there...
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed hundreds of ball joints...and I'm not exaggerating. These are my first F body Problem Solvers. I have never, ever seen any thing take this kind of effort. The AC/Delco standard joints don't. They take quite a bit...but nothing like these. But I totally believe you Kevin. Still, if you don't need oversized joints...get the standard Delco ball joint.

By the way Kevin...I was THIS close to ordering a set of your control arms. Next time, I won't hesitate.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good to hear. I thought I was doing something wrong when I installed mine because it took so long. I used one of those traditional ball joint tools too, but after 24 hours total ( not all at once) they were in. Now that they're in I have nothing to complain about because it feels like a whole different car, but I am never going to do that again.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yay....just when I'm about ot do the same thing this weekend I read this. This is going to be ominious. Thanks for the heads up.

-I wanted to get a set of BMR lower A-arms, just not in any kind of budget right now.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah these were A LOT harder to press out and in than my 69 camaro ball joints haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moog Problem Solver Lower Ball Joints