Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How do I make my convertible ta safest

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I make my convertible ta safest

My son is getting his license in 6 months (17 years old). He wants one of my convertible trans am. It's 2000 automatic. I need to make this car as safe ad possible. I will add 3 point subframe connectors and will add a roll cage. My question is which roll cage is the safest. Is there anything else I can do to make the car safer.

How safe are these cars in an accident.

Thank you
Roman
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When my SS got hit from the side, it held up very well. I walked away with a few shards of glass and a scrape (and minor pain from getting hit). I got hit on both sides in a low/medium speed crash, window down top up.

Make sure the tires are good, subframe connectors will help strengthen it. Besides physically, maybe have a tune put in that restricts speed/RPMs until he gets a feel of the car or you feel safe with him driving it?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Guitar
When my SS got hit from the side, it held up very well. I walked away with a few shards of glass and a scrape (and minor pain from getting hit). I got hit on both sides in a low/medium speed crash, window down top up.

Make sure the tires are good, subframe connectors will help strengthen it. Besides physically, maybe have a tune put in that restricts speed/RPMs until he gets a feel of the car or you feel safe with him driving it?
This, haha. Electric limiter to 3500 rpm and 100 mph top speed.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get him something else to drive for a year.

4th gen V8 cars are night and day different than lets say a 5000 cobalt.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Default 17 year old

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Get him something else to drive for a year.

4th gen V8 cars are night and day different than lets say a 5000 cobalt.
Could not agree more...way too much car for a 17 year old, especially a "first" car.

If you're so inclined anyway, at least send the boy to a good 3 day high performance driving school. Give him a chance...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think these guys are being a tad bit paranoid ... When I was 16 I bought and drove for over a year a 1994 Z28 6 Speed... after half a year of owning that I saved up and bought a ZX6R (17 at the time). By the time I was 18 I sold both and bought a 1998 Trans Am... It doesn't take long to learn these cars.
Let him drive around with you in the car for a week or so, everything will be fine.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quit bashing the Young age, If he knows its your car he will respect it, and you didn't raise a total dumbass he will get use to the car before going too crazy in it..

I got my Cammed LS1 when i was 16, beat the **** out of it, got 3 speeding tickets in a year, and then blew it up..

Once I paid the speeding tickets and money for a new longblock, I sure learned my lesson.

Make him pay for everything gas, insurance, tickets, maybe even some of the car, he will learn to respect the vehicle.

I say just tell him hes going to be driving a Geo metro if anything happens to the T/A, driving is a privilege, not a right.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

The maturity level of your son would help me make the final decision.You can put every safety device known to man on that car and he could still get seriously hurt with it.I would start him out with something a little less powerfull for the first month at the least.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Nothing wrong with a LS1 car as first car (absolutely stock). I got mine (stock) when I was 16 and am now 19 and never had a wreck ha. I did have a turd gen for 2 months for my first first car before this one lol. I have also done everything in my sig to it. all comes down to maturity level though (like ^ he said).

Last edited by mesterious; 05-18-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Launching!

My son will be driving a 2003 Lincoln aviator I got for $2500 it has 230k. After a year i will give him the trans am. People in NYC drive bad so I just want to make the ta as safe as possible. It's a much smaller car.

Thanks for all the responses