Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Im making a panhard bar, torqe arm and control arms/traction bars from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im making a panhard bar, torqe arm and control arms/traction bars from scratch

Im making a set of full rear suspension all ajustable on the car.
except the sway bar i alreay have a extreme one.

$150- the torqe arm is made from 1.25" round tube with .120 wall and its tunel mounted. the front is made with a polyerothane bushing. the top rear is going to be 3/4" heim joint. the bottom rear is going to be a 3/4 heim joint with a ajuster. and the rear end mount is going to be made out of .375 flat stock

and the tunnel mount is made from 1/8 plate that bolts to the car. with a 1.25 round tube with .120 wall connecting the two bolted plates. and then a polerothane bushing welded to the 1.25 round tube. with a shackle type plates that mounts the tunnel brace and torqe arm together

( the torqe arm will be prertty much identical to the umi/ bmr tunnel mount torqe arm.)

$81.- the pan hard bar will be made with polerothane bushings and 1.25" round tube. with a 3/4" heim bungs and a 3/4" jack screw.

$60- the rear control arms/ traction bars are made with polerothane bushing with 1.25" round tube. with plates on the control arm for the traction bars with heim joint. and then a modified control arm relocation plate that the traction arm bolts to with heim joints ( kinda hard to discribe) and i have some of the parts already for this so thats why its only $60

i just bought all the parts and i will start building them hopfulley next weekend

I will take mesurements and right down all the parts i used and where i got them. so others can make them for alot cheaper.

but all together i only have a little under $300 for the whole rear suspension

Last edited by tt383lt1; 05-18-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contimplated this at the begining of my build. I have most of the metal to do the job, but I needed to buy all the Roto Joints, threaded pipe adapters, and jam-nuts, etc. Once I factored in the prices of that and added in the cost of powder coat, I was only saving maybe $50. I would have had a bunch of time invested too, so I decided it was cheaper to buy the pre-made stuff. My costs for steel and powder would have only been like $20-$40 total because of where I work. I did however build my own transmission crossmember and torque arm relocation kit tho. I love scratch built stuff.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be saving about $300 to $400. but its more the satifaction of making stuff than buying it any buddy can buy it and put it on

the panhard bar is $150 bought
the torqe arm is $390 bought
the traction bars are $309
and thats all without shipping price

pretty much i found all of the size tubes and wall thickness on all of the manufactors and the heim joint sizes and started looking for parts. so it will be just as strong as the big companys

and im actually spraying some black car paint and clear on the parts after i get done ( left over materials at the house)

Quick Reply: Im making a panhard bar, torqe arm and control arms/traction bars from scratch