Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes? If you do cts-v mod

What about the rears
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know what, in general, our weight distribution is like 59/41, which results with a car that tends to stop better by getting bigger front brakes and more aggressive pads and stickier tires and leaving the rear brakes as factory.

If you put a big aftermarket rear brake, the 4th-gen f-body's PCM is not smart enough to tell it to shift the braking more to the front to the rear, so if you put bigger rear brakes you're going to have a handfull because the rear brakes will be WAY stronger than before which would totally upset the braking of the car.

Late last year and earlier this year GM High-Tech Performance magazine has been working on their sTi killer, and twice they put in aftermarket front/rear brakes only to find out that the rear brakes were totally too strong causing the rear to get squirrely, and lock from time to time, and once they converted the rear brakes back to factory with the big front brakes the sTi killer braked a LOT better.

so if you want to put in the CTS-V brakes on the rear, well, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by js2fst
What about the rears
As the poster stated above, in addition, in one of those articles is they mentioned they had to do some work to get around the issue a c-clip axle produces. Namely, the issue caused is the axle moving in and out slightly as part of it's normal operation. A floating caliper can tolerate this movement because it works on slide pins. A fixed caliper on the other hand clamps down from both sides, with the expectation of course that the disc is going to stay where it is.

From what I've read they kept ABS, frankly, if you're dead set on goofing around with this you'd be better off deleting ABS and using a proportioning valve.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Exactly removing the ABS which means you will have to install a proportioning valve and you'll have to tinker with it to find the correct balance with the new bigger front and rear brakes, which by the way, the only way to do that is to do some runs and hit the brakes and adjust the valving over and over again, which might include having to hit the brakes hard and having your rears locking up over and over until you get the fronts and rears locking up at the same time and you may/may not have to readjust based on how your car is braking with the amount of gas that's in the tank?

I'm totally guessing about that scenario but removing the ABS will cause your brakes to lock up so adjusting them will take some patience I'd imagine
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
you know what, in general, our weight distribution is like 59/41, which results with a car that tends to stop better by getting bigger front brakes and more aggressive pads and stickier tires and leaving the rear brakes as factory.

If you put a big aftermarket rear brake, the 4th-gen f-body's PCM is not smart enough to tell it to shift the braking more to the front to the rear, so if you put bigger rear brakes you're going to have a handfull because the rear brakes will be WAY stronger than before which would totally upset the braking of the car.

Late last year and earlier this year GM High-Tech Performance magazine has been working on their sTi killer, and twice they put in aftermarket front/rear brakes only to find out that the rear brakes were totally too strong causing the rear to get squirrely, and lock from time to time, and once they converted the rear brakes back to factory with the big front brakes the sTi killer braked a LOT better.

so if you want to put in the CTS-V brakes on the rear, well, good luck and keep us posted!
Indeed. The rear is extremely sensitive to brake upgrades. I want to say that running the same pad compound with the multi-piston calipers without altering the proportioning caused the rears to lock too early. Then they had some issues with the wheel speed sensors and ABS system.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting bad brake hop even on the stock set up. Personally I run a less agressive pad on the rear.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I was getting bad brake hop even on the stock set up. Personally I run a less agressive pad on the rear.
It's funny, you talk to a lot of brake manufacturers and they'll tell you that you should never do this. It's like a poor mans brake bias. I've ALWAYS run less aggressive pads in the rear on my GTO because a DTC-70 pad is WAY too much for the rears. Ideally you'll want the same pad and then adjust the bias to equally distribute the brake pressure to compensate. That being said, the rears on the F-body are scary powerful for such a weak-sauce caliper. haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
It's funny, you talk to a lot of brake manufacturers and they'll tell you that you should never do this. It's like a poor mans brake bias. I've ALWAYS run less aggressive pads in the rear on my GTO because a DTC-70 pad is WAY too much for the rears. Ideally you'll want the same pad and then adjust the bias to equally distribute the brake pressure to compensate. That being said, the rears on the F-body are scary powerful for such a weak-sauce caliper. haha
Yeah isn't that wild?
I mean basically the rear calipers are virtually the same rear calipers for the C5 Z06's, aren't they?
but then the C5 Z06's weight distribution is like what, 51/49 and ours is 59/41 or 58/42?

that's a huge weight difference not to mention that our cars are like 500lbs heavier than the C5 Z06's?

I'm guessing at my last sentence.

I also think my car stops better than most because I have aggressive pads in the back but I also got about 150lbs of subwoofers and component amp/sub amp/amp rack and 2 stealth boxes, I figure even though I added more weight to the car I've actually made my front to rear weight ratio a bit higher???

who knows, all I know is that my car stops pretty ******* good now.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes? If you do cts-v mod